• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible fuel pump issues

jabird

NAXJA Forum User
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
I'm going crazy here. The trouble started a week ago. I started my 95/4.0 like i do every morning and let in run in the driveway as I went into the house to fill up my coffee cup. I came out jumped in, put it in reverse, backed up five feet and it died. I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO GET IT TO START SINCE. The fuel pump is not spinning. I have pulled the wireing harness apart right at the pump and checked with a FLUK meter. There are three wires headed back towards the motor. I see 6-5.5vlts on one wire and thats it. I would ASSUME I need to see at least 10vlts if not the correct 12vlts on one of these wires to power the pump. With that said I would ASSUME my 6-5.5vlts is the gas guage. SO...........I've looking for an open in the wireing harness. I have replaced the relays. Checked the fuses. Double checked the fuel pump relay and the auto shut down relay. I pulled the fuse/relay block apart up on the passenger wheel well checked the wireing into it and it all looks good. Ive pulled the kick pannels in the interior, checked every conector I can find. Please HELP. This is my first post on this site so if I did anything wrong.....I applagize now..........Getting very frustrated. I love my 95, but right now 5 gallons of gas and a match is looking like a good idea

One last thing, Anybody know what color wire I want to be running down here? And where to look?...........I also put a new filter on while I was under there checking things for the heck of it

Well, I got it fixed. Can someone explain to me why the crankshaft sensor would effect all of what I have described above? After checking everything related to the pump 3 times I moved on to try something different. Checked the readings off the crank sensor with a fluke and determined it was bad. I replaced it........everything came back to life. I'm very confused as to what happened here. I'm no were near a certified mechanic but no dummy either. This dosent make sense to me. Any who could explain it? I would really appreciate it....THANKS...........JEFF

when you turn the ignition on, the pcm checks the cps before it sends power to the asd relay which then sends power to the fuel pump relay. mike

Back