• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Problem

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
I heard what I thought was my brakes grinding a couple weeks ago, so I bought new pads and rotors.

I take everything apart, find the pads are near new, but the rotors are all chewed up due to the rusty, mangled dust shield rubbing it.

I replace the rotors, switch the pads so they're on the correct sides of the vehicle(as opposed to how it was when i took it apart). Then I had to fight a little to get the caliper/pads to fit over the new rotors, but with a few taps of the hammer, they slipped on.

Put everything back together, clean up, go outside to go to work, put it into reverse, and it doesn't move.

The front brakes are like...half engaged. It'll move if I get the engine to like 2500-3000 RPM and not very happily.

So I took everything apart again today.

I tried to bleed the calipers, stripped one bleeder screw somehow, and successfully bled the other. I could get the rotor to turn with the wheel off with a little effort. Put it back together.. and the same thing, it doesn't move unless I really step on the gas.

I measured the hat of the rotors and it's just as deep as the old rotors, so I'm confident I have the right parts.

any ideas on what is wrong with this?

This would be a 92 XJ, Dana 30.

I'm about to light this Jeep on fire.:junk:

does the rotor spin when the calier is in place, but the tire is not installed?

bleeding the brakes wouldn't help a stuck caliper, and a caliper shouldn't be able to hold the jeep stationary, no matter how badly it's rubbing, you need serious force to do that.

I could get the rotor to spin when the caliper was in place, but when it's running and the tire is installed, it takes some gas to get it to move, but it didn't take that much effort. Keep in mind, the caliper was fine before I took everything apart, I don't see what would have changed.

What was the deal with this? "I replace the rotors, switch the pads so they're on the correct sides of the vehicle(as opposed to how it was when i took it apart). "??

How were the pads on the wrong side? Do you have any pics? Do both rotors spin when the vehicle is jacked up and wheels off? And once the wheels are on and the vehicle is on the ground does it not move easily?

Did you get the right rotors?

Not sure about all XJs, but for the 97-01, there are two types of rotors listed in most parts stores...composite and solid cast...they are not interchangeable.

I had a similar issue with my XJ when I replace my rotors and pads...got the composite rotor but they would not turn freely after installation. Turns out, I needed the full cast rotors which has about 1/8" smaller 'hat' height. The composite rotor would rub against the back plate and spindle...acted like someone was applying the brakes.

So, check your rotors, make sure you got all the right parts...

X2, I got the wrong rotors the first time I did my brakes, thats what happened.

I just finished replacing entire front brakes. Last step was the piston in the caliper was stuck or ruster up. New ones were relatively cheap AND had a new piston and seal.
Check to piston in the caliper.

Back