• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTD: xj vaccume 4x4

whitetrashxj

NAXJA Forum User
so about 3 months ago i tore my vacume disconect front axel out of my truck and replaced it with a non disco front d30, i just finished my t-case and sye yesterday and i plugged the hole for the vaccume on the t-case with the peice that comes with the sye, do i need to have the vaccume stuff connected or can i just pull out all the old vac lines? i havent been using them for a while but left it connected to the t-case before cause i thought that it might be needed for something else.

any suggestions?
Nick

If I understand correctly, you effectively have a non-disconnect front axle now, with a vacuum-era t-case?

The t-case vacuum port is plugged, right? The linkage to put power to the front output shaft is mechanical, so all you have to do is pull the lever in the cockpit to make the Jeep run in 4wd.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

The vacuum lines, etc, associated with your old disconnect axle are no longer needed. You can pull them all. The only thing affected that you might want, is the vacuum switch that operates off of the disconnect vacuum to light the 4x light in the dash; it's located on the passenger side fender, near the fire wall. I'd remove that as well. It basically told you the disconnect axle connected.
Either leave the vacuum switch in the transfer case, or put a plug in the hole for the switch; don't want oil escaping there.
Also, insure the vacuum line connection to the disconnect system, located in the engine bay, is caped.

Yucca-Man said:
If I understand correctly, you effectively have a non-disconnect front axle now, with a vacuum-era t-case?

The t-case vacuum port is plugged, right? The linkage to put power to the front output shaft is mechanical, so all you have to do is pull the lever in the cockpit to make the Jeep run in 4wd.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

exactly, when i did the A-A sye the kit came with a plug that goes into where the vaccume port is, so i put it in cause i took the whole front axel out before, the reason i did this is becuase i didnt notice when i bought the truck that the vaccume motor on the diff was being held on with double sided tape lol, yea really,

thanks for your input,
nick

Back