• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion questions

Remove pinion nut, remove yoke. Get a BFH, and hit the pinion stem with some balls, and it will come out. It will take some force, but shouldn't take too much.

Of course, you have to have the carrier removed first.

yeah i was hitting with with like a 3lb large ball peen hammer... with a LOT of ass lol

time for a 18 pack and the fun of selecting which RBFH i wanna use :p

if you don't have a friend there to catch the pinion when it comes out, i would recommend putting several rags inside the diff and then loosely put the diff cover in place with 2 or 3 bolts. you don't even need them finger tight. just enough to hold the cover in place to stop the pinion from flying across the room. just incase you wanna sell it or something.

Use a BFP (big freakin press).....Funny this came up....I was building the 8.8 I put in one of my MJs....and the pinion didnt want to come out....turned out there was RUST between the pinion shaft and the bearing...WTF?!?!?!...parts bathed in lube....and a film of rust?? thats what it was....I used a little Deep Creep and a RBMFH to get things moving.

MudDawg said:
Use a BFP (big freakin press).....Funny this came up....I was building the 8.8 I put in one of my MJs....and the pinion didnt want to come out....turned out there was RUST between the pinion shaft and the bearing...WTF?!?!?!...parts bathed in lube....and a film of rust?? thats what it was....I used a little Deep Creep and a RBMFH to get things moving.

RBMFH huh?
how about a just a 25lbs sledge?

Really Big M-F Hammer....I used a 16# drilling hammer....sort of like a Sledge but with a shorter handle....Next time I'm using the press...just bought a 20 ton....:greensmok

Ok well i got it out, with teh BFH.

Now.. i need to take off the pinion bearing, and is there ANY other way to get it off without using a pinion bearing separator?

Thanks all

ok all, one more big huge question.. do i use a spanner wrench to adjust the differential from side to side with those threaded adjusters? And how do i know when its right? sorry, this is my first time tackling gears, I want to do it myself and learn as much as i can, so doing the front maybe wont be such a pita.

Nevermind... just been doing some searching on my extra time at work and learned that those adjust backlash =-O

What kind of wrench can i use to adjust those, all i remember is that they were a PITA to get the threads started right on them, now i just have to find a way to turn them.

And help or suggestions would be insanely appreciated!! Thanks all

AKswampheep said:
ok all, one more big huge question.. do i use a spanner wrench to adjust the differential from side to side with those threaded adjusters? And how do i know when its right? sorry, this is my first time tackling gears, I want to do it myself and learn as much as i can, so doing the front maybe wont be such a pita.

Yeah there's spanner nut tools available for about $60, I made my own from a Toyota tortion bar, any long bar about 3/4" diameter would work, you'll need a welder though
Dsc03277.jpg

Dsc03278.jpg

Then I welded a 1/2 adapter to the other end so I could torque the side bearing caps
Dsc03280.jpg

If I remember right, the torque on those side adjusters should be 100ft lbs to obtain proper carrier bearing preload.

oh boy lol.. finally got ahold of a bearing separator, only took 5 hours of searching..

Now, does anyone have the size of nut or size of gap i would have to make that tool for the backlash adjusters? I could very easily make it here at work, i just dont have the stuff here with me :/ so if anyone has that stuff layin around and could get a measurement for me or something that would be A++++ Thanks a ton

The measurement in my second picture is 1.5" from flat surface to flat surface.

In other words a 1.5" bolt head, would fit into the nut.

Make sure you round the corners if your seals are not being replaced, the tool fits tightly thru the seal and could tear the rubber.

well im sitting here, trying to figure out how in the hell you got that past the seal without ruining it. and any other way to adjust the backlash on this damn thing would be wonderful, and god, parts stores and stealerships around here are talking to me like im a damn idiot. Im so fed up with this right now..

Back