• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Rad Hose Springs

JAS

NAXJA Forum User
I have found that my XJ overheats while climbing the sand dunes...

For thouse that do not run in the sand climbing a dune is running about 4500 RPM for 25-60 seconds depending on the dune. If you do not make it you must back down and try again.

2-3 tries at a dune and I was into the getting into the red on the temp gauge.

At idle it quickly returns to normal temp. On Saturday I ran back 250 miles @70 MPH in 90 degree heat with the air on and the gague was rock solid at 210 degrees.

I am suspecting that the spring is missing from the lower rad hose and the hose is collapsing at the higher RPM.

The hose itself is only about a 1-2 years old. I have squeezed it and can not feel a spring inside it.

I have checked the FSM that I have and not found any mention of this spring as being a seperate part. NAPA lists the lower rad hose as not having the steel coil.

Does anybody have any links for this spring as a seperate part or hoses with the spring included.

Thanks for the input....

Last edited:
Napa gave me the same thing "nope, no spring" but i know my stock one had a spring. Might just have to check with AZ or Checker/Partsamerica. Maybe theirs comes with a spring. Dunno if you have a Carquest near you, but they always seem to have a great selection of hoses n stuff....

Many new lower hoses have the spring molded in to the rubber.
It's better that way because it's smooth inside.

The hose will not collapse at High temperatures because the system pressure is to great.

It's only at low temps that a lower hose could be sucked flat.

If I were you I would check the fans, also the t-stat and the Belt tension.

langer1 said:
Many new lower hoses have the spring molded in to the rubber.
It's better that way because it's smooth inside.

The hose will not collapse at High temperatures because the system pressure is to great.

It's only at low temps that a lower hose could be sucked flat.

If I were you I would check the fans, also the t-stat and the Belt tension.

The aux fan does come on with the air.... I have not been able to push the temp high enough for the aux fan to come on while the AC is off because I do not have a dune in my back yard.

The main fan does spin at a very good rate with the engine.

As for the t-stat. I will be checking that as I pull it a part to check the indavidual parts.

Jeff

Your aux fan will come on if you are in the red climing dunes, if not put a switch on it to turn it on...sounds like your switch is bad for fan

langer1 said:
Are you also running Air when climbing dunes?

No...And unfortunately I will not be back to the dunes for this year to try it.

My first thought was that the aux fan is not running.... Maybe the sensor for the aux fan is not turning it on... where it is coming on with the A/C On.

I will to my list of things to check the relays and verify the aux fan is comming on without the AC on.

I had to go to the stealership to get the hose with the spring inside it. I found one on napa's website but they told me was no longer available when I took in the part #.

NAPA sells springs seperate now. If they don't have any clue ask them to call their heating and cooling rep.

When I went to replace the lower hose on my 98 for the first time I couldn't find a aftermarket hose with the spring in it. I have s FlowKooler waterpump and they recommend using a sprung hose, so I have since bought my replacement hoses from the dealer to avoid this potential problem.

How is your radiator? are you running the stock 1 core?

I run dunes quite a bit, I upgraded to a CSF 3 core, no problems now.

I to have been looking for a hose spring and have not found one. I had an old SJ with a hot rod 232 that would collapse the lower hose when you winged the gas.
If the pump has more suction then the system has pressure than the hoes could collapse

kcjeep6 said:
I to have been looking for a hose spring and have not found one. I had an old SJ with a hot rod 232 that would collapse the lower hose when you winged the gas.
If the pump has more suction then the system has pressure than the hoes could collapse

Well Hydraulic Hose shops sell stainless steel coil spring by the foot to make suction hose.
But the water pump should never suck it shut anyway, if it does your t-stat is missing or stuck wide open or the radiator is not flowing properly. Too much water flow can cause over heating problems as can not enough. Too much water flow and the water passes through the radiator before it can be cooled.

I have been all over under the hood of the jeep and believe that I have found a cracked exhaust manifold.

Could this dumping hot exhaust gasses onto the block push the cooling system too far ?

The crack is large enough to see and I can stick a razor blade into it. I thought I could hear a small exhaust leak but now I know for sure.

I read this awhile ago but never really thought about it until now. I have a brand new CSF 3 row rad, and the rest of the system is very new as well. It cools great... but damn... I would be afraid to see what my jeep's temp would do if I ran it for 4500rpms for 3 consecutive minute blasts. The fact that your temp comes right back down when you stop, and runs great on the freeway in hot weather, I really don't think you have a problem, you're just really pushing the maximum ability of the XJ cooling system, at least in its current form. It could be your aux fan not working, but let's face it, at 4500rpms your mechanical fan is moving a hell of a lot of air by itself and your w/p moving a hell of a lot of coolant. I suppose your manifold could be the culprit (and I haven't had this happen so I can't give you a definite answer) but I have read others' experience on here that have had bigger than razor blade cracks and no overheating problems; although I don't know if any of them were pushing their systems to the max like you were on the dunes.

I have been out there on hotter days and not had the cooling issue.

It is a new problem.

For now I will fix the manifold and see what the cooling does with the next trip into the dunes.

Since it is not a critical issue for now... AKA I can not make it overheat without being in the sand dunes.

Thanks

Jeff

Do you have an aftermarket tranny cooler?

If not i think it could be the tranny getting hot from the extra load from the sand which causes extra heat dump into the radiator. Then when it cools off your good to go again.

Back