• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack & Tap HELP!!!! Drive shaft to long???

KSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I did a H&T tonight and when I went to put the driveshaft on it wouldnt fit. At fully compressed it wont go on???? I have a ZJ front driveshaft that I rebuilt. At full compression it is the same as a stock front XJ, but it does allow more travel. Thinking I was gonna need it. But not sure what happened here.

more info
8in rustys long arm
d44 rear
231 tc
RE H&T
napa spicer
ZJ front driveshaft
and some degree of shim

My first thought is take the shim out???? Would that do it and do I need to do it anyway with a sye?

thanks in advance

Yes, you need the shim - although the correct degree of shim isn't something I can advise here....you need to measure it once you've got a driveshaft that fits. The pinion of the axle is supposed to point 1-2* below centerline of the driveshaft.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

How close is it to fitting? This site: http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/propeller_shafts2.html
has a table of ZJ front drive shafts. Depending on the model they vary from 30 - 33.5 inches collapsed. The part number's supposed to be attached to the shaft.

If the drive shaft collapsed length doesn't match the expected part number length (or donor vehicle year/options) or is longer than the longest listed it could be something in the shaft keeping it from collapsing all the way. Did you take that part apart as part of the rebuild?

What transmission do you have as that makes a difference as well? Also, how much did you cut off from the output shaft?

collapsed it is 30.5 measuring from u-joint to u-joint not inclusind the double cardian.

as far as cutting I left just a hair over 1in of splines.

I have the the aw4

and oh yeah, doesn't rusys long arm have a 1in drop built in, would that matter?

Can I cut like an inch of the end of the driveshaft spline, to allow it to compress more????

They had the samething on an episode of Trucks. Went from factory rear axle to probably a D60 which has a larger snout. Cut the driveshaft down just as you described. They took a file to it to de-burr and I think to slightly bevel it.

well I ended up rebuilding the spare XJ I had and it work perfect. But I may cut the XJ down for a spare or use it up front and keep that one as a spare. We will see, but thanks for everyones replys. But it is running and no vipes up to 75 mph, so I think I am good to go!!!!! finally!!!

Back