• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another closed/open cooling system issue...

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and there is a ton of info but didn't find anything to specifically address this....

can anyone think of a reason to not use an open system rad, but keep your closed system plumbing?

I like the closed system and recently replaced the bottle and cap and all the hoses (not cheap!) still running hot and I'm pretty sure I diagnosed a partially plugged rad (it was flushed) so time to get a rad. local rad shop can get me an oem 2 core rad for the 1990 XJ or the 3 core rad for the newer XJs. I'm thinking of getting the newer 3 core as the rad guy figures it is better.

thoughts?

you could run the open radiator with the closed plumbing(i did that for a while on my '88), you'll just have two pressure caps. the only issue you'll run into is losing the spot for the fan switch in the radiator. just convert it to manual override and you're fine.

Back