• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Track Bar Bushing

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Well, I found out what the 55mph shimmy from my front end is, the axle end of the track bar has a bad bushing, enough to let it shift 1/4" in each direction. So Ive got a new bushing on it's way. My problem is this
Picture034.jpg

Im pretty sure the bolt isn't supposed to be 3" longer than the width of the track bar end, and bent like that. Damn mechanic. Im figuring on cutting it off as short as I can, then If I am thinking right I should be able to unscrew said bolt from the nut inside? Easier said than done, of course with rust and all. Another pic for the helluvit
Picture029.jpg

So at this point Im open to any suggestions/experiences in replacing this bolt. And yes, I know it's a Rusty's track bar, been good to me for almost 3 years now, so don't muck this thread up with Rusty's bashing, thats not what Im trying to find out.

Thanks.

I would grind off the bolt head, then punch it through if there is enough room for it to come out.

Are you sure that the bushing is the bad part? That bolt looks too small to be the right diamter, so that could be causing the shifting that you are experencing. I am thinking that who ever put the bolt in left the nut off and bent the end of the bolt over to keep the bolt from backing out and to try to tighten up the track bar "feel".

I agree that the bolt looks to small, but there have been no problems with that bolt in there so far. However, it may be that the steering stabelizer took care of any feeling from it until now, thats getting fairly old as well. But it's definately shifting back and forth when someone turns the wheel.

I think there is a plate behind the bolt, thats kind of what the excess of the bolt is bent down around. Im trying to remember, I had to leave the vehicle at my parents house and won't see it until this weekend.

But if there's room I think grinding the head off will be the best route, if not its going to have to come out the other way. Am I right in assuminb there would normally be a nut in there to hold the bolt in? It's not threaded through the track bar...

Yes there is normally a long nut plate that the bolt should be threaded into not the track bar itself.

I'm just trying to figure out how they managed to get the bolt bent like that since there is not much room on the back side.

There is normally a nut tack welded to a plate that goes in the slot othe bottom that the bolt is hanging through. The normal bolt is a 15 mm head, if that helps any. You should be able to go to the local J-yard, and find a replacement bolt/captured nut on another XJ.
They most likely used a torch to heat the bolt and bent it as it came through.

Could it be replaced with a grade 8 backed with washers and a locknut? Or does it have to be the welded to plate nut? Not sure if it's there or not...

You can do it that way, have fun. By the way, when you go to put the nut on and tighten it up, you should be able to slide a wrench in through the edge of the bracket ( go look at the bracket and you will understand).

As stated above, check the bolt size vs. the inner diameter of the bushing while you're tearing stuff apart. I had that problem on one of mine before.

Gotcha, I hope it's still there. I get the feeling it's not, judging by the rest of the work in the pics. I can't check it out in person till this weekend, Have to keep my fingers crossed till then.

Thanks for the help so far.

Well I picked up my jeep early and got to look under it to see what is going on.
P1000645.jpg

That would be a bolt welded to a nut, which the mechanic used to hold it while he was tightening it. That explains much.

Unfortunately, the weld wasn't good enough to take any pressure...
P1000647.jpg

So it looks like now Ive just got to figure out what size the nut is, just over 15 mm from what I can tell, just larger then the largest wrench I have on hand.

Got it soaking in a PB blaster clone (store was out) and will keep spraying until the bushing gets in.

Thanks for the help. :cheers:

Try 11/16ths', good luck, and your welcome

Well, conveniently I tried to get a wrench on the nut yesterday. The problem is all the wrenches I had were too big to fit into the access hole. Is there any reason that I shouldn't enlarge the hole slightly to give me a better shot at getting a wrench on there?

I just did the track bar on mine last night. Any Jeep shop should have the captured nut and the bolt or be able to get it for you. The guy i deal with had them on the shelf for me. I want to say it's a Crown part. Maybe try a front end shop?

I can get the captured nut from the dealer, it's getting the old one out that is the problem. It was not replaced with a captured nut when last removed.

98XJSport said:
I can get the captured nut from the dealer, it's getting the old one out that is the problem. It was not replaced with a captured nut when last removed.

I see it now. Just cut through the bushing from the bottom. Once through the bolt it should fall right out, no? You're replacing the bushing anyway.

The bushing goes through the center of the track bar end... to cut the bushing out I would have to cut through the track bar. I may have to try and get a sawzall between the bushing edge and cut through the bolt that way. If I can get the blade in there.

98XJSport said:
The bushing goes through the center of the track bar end... to cut the bushing out I would have to cut through the track bar. I may have to try and get a sawzall between the bushing edge and cut through the bolt that way. If I can get the blade in there.

That's what i meant. Cut between them with a sawzall or a cut off wheel.

Gotcha I thought you meant cut through just the bushing and the bolt would fall out...

Back