• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken water temp sender.

turbojoe

NAXJA Forum User
I was doing my gauge swap on Saturday, and I got my oil pressure sender changed out just fine, but when I went to take out my water temperature sender out of the back of the head, it snapped off. The old one broke off right before the threads start, about 1mm under the top of the head, and I don't know how to get it out. I'd try a left-hand thread drill bit, but there isn't enough space under the cowl. Help?!?

Damn...that sucks. I would almost say leave that one in there and find a new place to plumb a new temp sender into. I know people have just drilled and tapped a smaller hole in the T-Stat housings, and I think some people have tied them into brass tees somehow also. I would just leave that sombitch where it is though, that's a crappy spot to try and get anything to.

go get an HO thermostat housing from the junkyard, it will have the hole for the temp sender in it.

extend the wire and you're good.

87manche said:
go get an HO thermostat housing from the junkyard, it will have the hole for the temp sender in it.

extend the wire and you're good.
See the only problem is, he's talking about the one for the gauge, which is a one wire unit and much smaller. The 91+ thermostat housings have the bigger hole for the computer sensor. So if you were doing it that way, maybe you could buy a brass reducer fitting that would thread into the T-Stat housing and then reduce to the smaller size? I'm not sure about that though.

RenixPower said:
See the only problem is, he's talking about the one for the gauge, which is a one wire unit and much smaller. The 91+ thermostat housings have the bigger hole for the computer sensor. So if you were doing it that way, maybe you could buy a brass reducer fitting that would thread into the T-Stat housing and then reduce to the smaller size? I'm not sure about that though.

Yes, it is the one for the gauge. I don't need a new sender, I have one sitting in the garage, waiting for my dumb @$$ to take the old one out.
RenixPower, that seems like a good idea, but then where would my ECU get the readings from? I'd rather have the (computer controlled) engine running okay, than be reassured that I wasn't overheating.

turbojoe said:
RenixPower, that seems like a good idea, but then where would my ECU get the readings from? I'd rather have the (computer controlled) engine running okay, than be reassured that I wasn't overheating.
Ahhh I see, so you already have the T-Stat housing with the sensor in it. In that case, the only thing I could suggest would be to remove the block drain plug where in the older (Renix models) the computer temp sensor was and try fitting it there. See the illustration below...
CTSLocation.jpg

I believe you have a 1994? If you do there should still be a threaded plug in where that coolant temp sensor used to be that can just thread out.

If you have trouble getting one of the block plugs out you could try one of these upper radiator hose gauge sending unit adapters (or URHGSUA's.) The 1 & 3/16ths size works for the stock upper hose. $23 from http://www.jazzproparts.com/category_s/1335.htm

The upper radiator hose would have water coming out of the engine so would be a good location to get the maximum temp as opposed to down in the block.

I believe they come with a 1/4" threaded hole. The screw and nut is so you can ground the sensor.

GS-AW07-P-2.jpg

Back