• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some final lift/tire questions

Volusiaguy

NAXJA Forum User
On a budget and trying to finalize after lots of reading/research...how would this work?

Rough Country 3" lift with upgraded shocks, lower control arms, coils, sway drop, HD stabilizer and new leaf springs. less than $600 to my door. (anything missing?) Might add discos, but need to keep the cost down at the moment.

BFG AT's 31x10.5 $124 each from American Tire

Cragar soft 8's 5x4.5 15x7 5.0 BS 34.99 + 8.99 caps each (Too much BS?)

OR

Outlaw II's 5x4.5 15x8 3.75 BS 79.99 each (any idea if trimming would be needed with these?)

Any input from you guys would be great! Thanks.

Trim and get some Crager Soft 8's from Jegs or Summit racing. Shipping is free, or very very cheap for 4 wheels. 4.5-3.75 is a good backspacing start. Go with 15x8, incase you want to run a bigger tire in the future. Center caps look ok, but i wouldn't waste $36 on them, when the money can be better spent.

Not too shabby of a price for the BFG's.

You may need extended links for the swaybar with 3" of lift. Might as well find some used disco's or make your own.

CanMan said:
Trim and get some Crager Soft 8's from Jegs or Summit racing. Shipping is free, or very very cheap for 4 wheels. 4.5-3.75 is a good backspacing start. Go with 15x8, incase you want to run a bigger tire in the future. Center caps look ok, but i wouldn't waste $36 on them, when the money can be better spent.
CanMan said:
Not too shabby of a price for the BFG's.

You may need extended links for the swaybar with 3" of lift. Might as well find some used disco's or make your own.
Personally I like soft 8s without the caps. I just painted my wheel centers black. Of course I was trying to get away from the bling look and have a black/white skeem going on. You may have to do just a little trimming around the outer edges if you wheel it and have your swaybars disconnected no matter what you do.Tires catch the corners. I have had from 4" of lift with 31 all the way up to the current 35s with open wheel well pre-runner look.

I used a 2" Rocky road BB. It worked real good for my 31" 11.5 Super Swamper TSLs. I needed to trim a bit and use TJ flairs but it was a third of the price that you are going to pay. Check it out/ let me know if you like it.
100_1860.jpg

100_1849.jpg

if you're wanting to do all that, you may as well throw in a hack-n-tap SYE and go higher now. if you have it planned for the future to lift more, that is.

i'm piecing together my 4.5" lift now, and i don't expect it to be on 'til the beginning of spring :(

the truth hurts to type

This pass weekend I had installed the rough country 3" lift kit.All the same as yours other then I had install a AAL to the back axle.Before hand,front was 17.5" and back was 17.5".No sway in the back springs.After the kit was installed and some on road driving(very bad roads),the level landed at 20.5" front and 20" back.It took me around 9 hours,a case of beer becouse it was HOT outside.Yesterday,I had some new tires installed,"Mud Brutes" 31x10.5x15.I kept the stock rims(Alum).No rubbing as of yet.Didn't need to adjust the tire stops.I did remove the back sway bar.Trick on that is to remove all the blocks from the drivers side,to slip it out easyer.Do install the LCA before you install the springs.Shock bolts,I didn't have any problems.All came out without breaking any off.Thank God for that one!I do have some vibration which I think that adding a 2 or 3 drg wege will take the vibration out.Just not sure which one to use.
Anybody got an idea on that?Other then that,my XJ looks super nice!Now,only if it would rain for some mud!

Last edited:
tatjunkie said:
if you're wanting to do all that, you may as well throw in a hack-n-tap SYE and go higher now. if you have it planned for the future to lift more, that is.

i'm piecing together my 4.5" lift now, and i don't expect it to be on 'til the beginning of spring :(

the truth hurts to type

That would depend on what axles you have. I have a D44 and HP D30. I am at 6" of lift with 35" tire. 6 degree shims and I have Zero vibration and since putting in the 44 my yoke is right where it needs to be. If you are running a Chrysler 8.25" rear axle get SYE. If not then wait and see what it does.

These are our families XJs. The White one has the D44 shimmed and no vibes. The middle has a Chrysler 8.25" shimmed and still vibes. the far right one has a D35 and no shims and no vibes. None have SYE and we do hardcore crawlin with the 2 on the left. http://myweb.cableone.net/cherokeexj/trail_video.html
571312_183_full.jpg

Last edited:
boise49ers said:
That would depend on what axles you have. I have a D44 and HP D30. I am at 6" of lift with 35" tire. 6 degree shims and I have Zero vibration and since putting in the 44 my yoke is right where it needs to be. If you are running a Chrysler 8.25" rear axle get SYE. If not then wait and see what it does.

These are our families XJs. The White one has the D44 shimmed and no vibes. The middle has a Chrysler 8.25" shimmed and still vibes. the far right one has a D35 and no shims and no vibes. None have SYE and we do hardcore crawlin with the 2 on the left. http://myweb.cableone.net/cherokeexj/trail_video.html
571312_183_full.jpg

Yea whats the deal with the 8.25 and vibes? Mine was real bad with the T-case lifted flush with the underside of the Jeep, and 2" of lift. I was thinking of swapping it under my TJ but I dont know if it can take the driveline angles. I would only do this swap because I live overseas and its hard to get D44s.

Good stuff and great pics! Thanks. So....Summit has the best prices so far.....should I go with 15x8 with 4"BS or 4.75" BS? Neither summit nor jegs has anything in between.

Prices are so good, we MAY go with a 4.5 lift for now and have the option of bigger tires later..hmmmmmm...

Volusiaguy said:
Good stuff and great pics! Thanks. So....Summit has the best prices so far.....should I go with 15x8 with 4"BS or 4.75" BS? Neither summit nor jegs has anything in between.

Prices are so good, we MAY go with a 4.5 lift for now and have the option of bigger tires later..hmmmmmm...

With the 4.75" bs you may have a little rubbing on the control arm. With the 4" you may have to trim just a little. The 4" looks better with the recessed rims.

Back