• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which axle....?

slabelle67

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 89 cherokee laredo with the aw-4 and the 242 trans. case. wanting to swap out my rear d35 and was wondering the years that would bolt right up, as in the 44 and the 8.25..? i know the work involved with the 8.8 but was trying to find a bolt in as well without the cut and welding. and if some one is getting rid of one around where i live, in the snoqualmie, washington area, im looking to buy. thanks

Either will bolt right in; but you will have to have your driveshaft shortened as the d35 is a bit smaller than either of the others.

cal said:
Either will bolt right in; but you will have to have your driveshaft shortened as the d35 is a bit smaller than either of the others.
Actually that's not necessarily true. I've got a 1990 that had the D35 that we swapped an 8.25 into. It has a 3.5" lift and the 35's ds with the 8.25 fit just about perfect. I think it actually helped my angles out a little, because not as much slip yoke was showing out of the tcase.

8.25 you want late 96 and up, 29 spline.

D44 was only in the XJ in 87. There are some out there though....I found one!

mjma said:

My d44 came out of an '88, and I've seen them in '89's. Don't forget MJ's had them too.

mjma said:

This has probably been asked 100 times but, what is considered an late '96?

Back