• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unable to engage 2wd

I have to share this one with you - I bought a '95 XJ down here in NZ just on 12 months ago, it didn't get back on the road until Easter this year due to the top end of the motor having to be re-built. The first weekend in June I took it out on a trip with the local club and had a great day but when I got back to the road I couldn't get the transfer case back into 2wd. I tried the usual tricks, followed suggestions from people on other forums etc but no luck.
Finally this Saturday, when I was thinking it was time to pull out the transfer case itself, I removed the bezel thingy around the transfer case lever and saw that there were quite a few coins down there. Once I got the tweezers out and removed the coins the lever went back into 2wd with no problems.
I was really getting worried there, but in the end I made $3.35 out of the deal and a 3/8" socket as well.

Photos of our trip can be seen here - http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559291989fhqRhD?vhost=good-times

Cheers
Ian

LOL!!!! That's great!

Glad it works though, pretty funny too!

I take it your XJ was the one with the red grille?

The other blue one with the gold trim on the bumper looks like a late 80's or early 90's......am I right?

The other one is also a '95. They are RHD models assembled in Austria, originally sold in Japan and then imported into NZ as second hand vehicles. Yes mine is the one with the orange grill, I needed to stick out from the norm so that was the easiest way to do it.

Cheers
Ian

Back