• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Check Engine Light = No Pass Smog!

IdeaMan

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Cherokee... the check engine light is supposed to come on when you put the key in the ignition and goes off after you start it. It doesn't come on at any time... and therefore automatically cannot pass California smog. The Jeep runs great. Any ideas?

JoesXJ said:
change the bulb?? :dunno:

That's where I started from (check functionality of the bulb) and had the same problem with smogging my Jeep originally. You can even pirate a bulb from a less critical message on the guage if your bulb is burnt out. But yeah the SMOG tech will want to see the Check Engine light flash on when you start the Jeep and then it flashes off...that is if there isn't a problem the computer detects.

We just picked up an '88 this past weekend, got it CA smogged on Monday.

No check engine light comes on as you start it.

That year model didn't have a check engine light.

old_man said:
That year model didn't have a check engine light.

I noticed, when I changed to a gauge cluster, that there was a spot that said CHECK ENGINE on my old idiot light cluster, but no bulb in it. I have an '87

j99xj said:
Only in California.

Really. What about the radon rays those little bulbs put out? I heard they were toxic to the endangered mosquito-sniffing grape bat. Think about every time those "certified" XJ's fire up and flash that light! ;)

On the other hand, from what state did the phrase "idiot light" come?

TMXONR said:
I noticed, when I changed to a gauge cluster, that there was a spot that said CHECK ENGINE on my old idiot light cluster, but no bulb in it. I have an '87

Renix models should have a maintenance light which is controled by a timer.

Hey if you're in fresno(original poster), I have an extra cluster gauge set you can use to get it smogged. Shoot, but the whole thing off me for $20 and use the bulbs for your orginal cluster! let me know, I can help locally!

Idiot light refers to a light that tells you "engine temp" or what not....instead of an actual gauge.

Sport models just had lights instead of gauges. If you understand what I mean?

Back