• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5" lift kit shocks for cheap

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking around at some shocks and found that the shocks from a 1990 wrangler work for an XJ with 3.5" of lift

you're gonna need:
13mm socket and 3" extention
13mm open end wrench
14mm open end wrench
access to a press or a really nice vice
Bar Pin Eliminators (I used them at least)

I ordered the basic monroe gas charged shocks for a 1990 wrangler (TJ) with the 6 cyl.
The cost of heach gas charged shock was 16.99
The bar pins were $25 but you can make your own for cheap, like $5 if you have the time and grinding tools.

You're gonna have to get the stock metal shafts out of the new shocks and that's why a nice press comes into play, just use a 3/8" socket extention to push one side out and another socket the size of the inner rubber bushing to keep the bushing in the shock loop. make sure you use LUBE!
I didn't use lube my 1st time and man that was a real b*tch!!!!! I got the lube and pressed the BPE's in and they just slid right in like butta! the holes are really small on the new shocks so its hard to get them in.

The BPE's came with new bolts and nuts, but the stock bolts work just great and they are thicker so i re-used them on he bottom.

The 13mm tools are for bottom bolts and the 14 is for the top bolt on the stem.

Best of luck! they work great with my 2" lift!!!

XJPhoenix said:
Always looking for cheap tricks...

Yup... I would have to agree with you on that on man... haha...

Back