• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to go for SYE and driveshaft

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Ok, so i am finnaly giving in to doing the driveshaft and SYE...but I want it done locally....any recomendation on who what when and where??

BTW, I have a 92 Auto with a 8.25 in the back.....

Buy the SYE online:

Advanced Adapters from Rusty's: $200
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...e=rustys&Product_Code=AASYE&Category_Code=SYE

OR

Performance Offroad Center: $180
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter...d=153&osCsid=2fa5ad5a8a4ecf8fa1349e47f858ee7a

I am running the PORC on my XJ and the AA on my wife's TJ. No difference in quality, performance, or install.

There are several guys locally that can help you install it. It's not too difficult.

As for driveshafts, I used a place in Irvine, but that's real close to you. There is a place in Fullerton, Cal knows them rally well. I can't remember ther name though.

I am running a front driveshaft out of an late 80's model. The lenght was perfect. Had to have it balanced and new u-joints, less than $100! (The driveline shop in Irvine) I had to have complete shafts made for the TJ, now that was considerably more.

So, take your measurements for your driveshaft, then see what your existing front DS measures. If it's real close, then head to the boneyard and pick-up a couple of fronts and have them balanced... save $$$$

Good Luck!

Last edited:
rpraterxj said:
Buy the SYE online:

Advanced Adapters from Rusty's: $200
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...e=rustys&Product_Code=AASYE&Category_Code=SYE

OR

Performance Offroad Center: $180
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter...d=153&osCsid=2fa5ad5a8a4ecf8fa1349e47f858ee7a

I am running the PORC on my XJ and the AA on my wife's TJ. No difference in quality, performance, or install.

There are several guys locally that can help you install it. It's too difficult.

As for driveshafts, I used a place in Irvine, but that's real close to you. There is a place in Fullerton, Cal knows them rally well. I can't remember ther name though.

I am running a front driveshaft out of an late 80's model. The lenght was perfect. Had to have it balanced and new u-joints, less than $100! (The driveline shop in Irvine) I had to have complete shafts made for the TJ, now that was considerably more.

So, take your measurements for your driveshaft, then see what your existing front DS measures. If it's real close, then head to the boneyard and pick-up a couple of fronts and have them balanced... save $$$$

Good Luck!

You are the man!!!! Ok, so either of these two listed will allow me to run the front driveshaft so long as the lenght is correct?

Also, the install is dificult?

He meant it's NOT too difficult.

There's that articulation problem again. :twak:

tcm glx said:
You are the man!!!! Ok, so either of these two listed will allow me to run the front driveshaft so long as the lenght is correct?

Also, the install is dificult?

Correct, if the length is close. Even if not, it is cheaper to have an existing DS lengthened or shortened.

As for the install, the instructions are pretty right on. I had some great help both times. The XJ, we (Scott - Clean_RC) installed it with the T-case in the Jeep. On the TJ, we (Mike - MJR, & Johnny-XJohnnyC, more folks) removed the t-case and Mike taught us how. It was much easier out of the Jeep, but the steps are the same. You just have to make sure you clean everything real well, and place the gears, seals, and shaft in carefully. Then use some really good sealant (aluminum housing) and torque the bolts to sepcs and wah-lah...

It can be a little trickey to get everything lined up. This is where an extra hand and some experience comes in handy!

I'll be doing mine soon too. I'm probably gonna go with the porc one and a front shaft on the rear.

xjohnnyc said:
He meant it's NOT too difficult.

There's that articulation problem again. :twak:

It's real bad when an Asain guy has to correct my Engrish..... :laugh:

Thanks Johnny!

By the way, I articulate just fine.....
Bigflex.jpg

:cheers:

juryrigjalopy said:
I'll be doing mine soon too. I'm probably gonna go with the porc one and a front shaft on the rear.

SYE Party!!!

xjohnnyc said:
Voila!

Gee, I have to correct your French too.

No, no, no...

In the South, we don't say voila.... we say, wah-lah... it's an old tradition that started after a night of drinking... someone tried to said Voila and it came out wah-lah...... :lecture:

I purchased my JB super Short SYE and TOM woods DS from offroadtoystore.com. Just measure from yoke to yoke when ordering your DS.

JohnX could probably help ya I know hes done at least one, hes local and for drive shaft work I only go to Inland Drive line you should see the one they made me for the YJ and my dad's blazer, true works of beauty

rpraterxj said:

Good Luck!

OC Driveline 714-993-6494

My BIL had a new front DS built and his rear DS rebuilt by Ray.
Dropped it off in the morning, picked it up that night.
The front DS he built has more splines and a larger slip joint than a stock DS, stronger. THe rear he installed new u-joint and cardan joint on a Tom woods shaft.

djblade311 said:
I purchased my JB super Short SYE and TOM woods DS from offroadtoystore.com. Just measure from yoke to yoke when ordering your DS.
I bought the same stuff from the same place. I had issues with the super short sye, the speedometer sensor does not work with the '92 auto. I had to send it back and get the standard length sye kit. So I have done basically the same job twice. No issues with the standard length sye kit. It comes with provisions for the OE speed sensor. If you want we can schedule this and do it at my house. I have all the necessary tools and then some. I also rebuilt my NP231 at the same time, replaced all bearings and seals.

jeeperjohn said:
I bought the same stuff from the same place. I had issues with the super short sye, the speedometer sensor does not work with the '92 auto. I had to send it back and get the standard length sye kit. So I have done basically the same job twice. No issues with the standard length sye kit. It comes with provisions for the OE speed sensor. If you want we can schedule this and do it at my house. I have all the necessary tools and then some. I also rebuilt my NP231 at the same time, replaced all bearings and seals.

Wow, thanks for the offer Jeeperjohn......let me see how soon i can get my hands on some parts.......how much would you charge me to do the work? Of course I can help, but have never done this.....

Soooooo, maybe $100-$150....pluss beer (after the install) soda and pizza?

Back