• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Required tools for changing front U-Joints

a bammer, a socket to drive it in, and one to fit around the yoke peice for the other side to come thru. Needle nose. A vise helps

Front ! 7mm allen head and 12 point 13 mm socket to pull off the calipers and hubs. Air hammer for the hubs if you have one and make sure you anti sease the crap out of the hubs before reinstalling. You can change them with out pulling the axles, but it is easier I think personally to pull the axles. If you own a Dana 30 and rock crawl you get really good at it. Make sure to seat the u-joints good after putting them in. A BFH works. You want that slop in either direction so you don't bind and break your new u-joints.

Hey Lincoln if you read this thread you explain it real well !

Last edited:
tommyr said:
a helper to hold the wiggly thing.
The Harbor Freight c-clamp press is nice to have too.

X2 once you use one of these you'll never use anything else. The help with those reall rusted in ones and you won't even break a sweat or leave a new dent in the drive shaft that might throw it out of balance. I use mine in a vise instead of helper.

I always removed my u-joints with BFH and a punch (decent size bolt works real well) Find a piece of C-channel or such to keep it off the floor, and hammer away!!

Mine needed a hub puller to get the hub apart. We probably *could* have gotten it done w/o it, but after ~2 hours hammering on the hub, we got the puller and got it off in about 30 sec.

Back