• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling & Hesitation...

highcountrync

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ Briarwood, 4.0 HO / Automatic - Recently, my Jeep will hesitate or stall when approaching a stop. Yesterday I pulled up to a stop sign and had the a/c running and when the car in front of me pulled out, I gave mine a little blip of throttle to pull forward and it just died. This has probably happened 10-15 times in the past three weeks. It fires right back up and has no problems running freeway speeds, etc. It's only when I stop and go real quick (driving in heavy traffic, parking lots) that it happens. I've noticed that when I do not have the a/c running and this happens that the Jeep will ALMOST cut off, but not quite. This morning when I went to start it up, it took FOREVER to catch and when it did it ran super rough for a minute or so, then straightened out and drove without incident the 15 miles to work.

Also, about 2 months ago, I was out on the beach and got overheated driving in the sand, which has NEVER happened before. I can't think how the two would be related, but in my experience the problems usually are when you think that there's no way they could be. I've changed plugs and wires, dist. cap and rotor, oil and filter, I have a radiator less than 2 yrs old and a complete new exhaust system 2.5 yrs ago. I'm stumped, can anyone help or offer suggestions?

Could be a loose battery cable on the battery post.

Probably the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on the throttle body is going bad. They do wear out frequently causing problems like yours. Could also be loose dirty connections at the TPS/wiring harness connection and little vibration that causes the problem.

No real good way to test the TPS for your particular intermitent problem other than to replace it with a new one or a known good one. It is located on the throttle body, right front side.

Cleaned the throttle body yesterday and found that the gasket under it has almost completely rotted away, so picked up a spacer and new gasket at AutoZone and cleaned the hell out of that TB and man what a difference. Runs like a champ - thanks guys for all the help!

Back