• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:56 stock?

cumorglas

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
what engine/tranny combo would have come with 4:56 stock? at my last count there were over thirty xj's and a half dozen mj's at my favorite local boneyard. I can get any of the axles for a song. i picked up a pair of scout 44's for another project for 80$ each front and rear.

the hitch in this is that it is VERY difficult to get under any of the xj's to read the axle markings. I want to narrow possibilities before i have the yard guy lift it up with the loader.

the price goes up in direct relation to the amount of his time i waste. so if i am standing next to the vehicle and he only has to lift it for ten minutes while i torch the axles off they could be as cheap as 100 the set.

The 4.56 is pretty rare....would be in high altitude rated and or towing package units...Metric ton units....I have seen ONE...it was a 2.5/manual trans. I have seen a couple of sets browsing the internet for sale...

Good Luck....if you find a set....go buy some PowerBall Lotto tickets...cause the force is with you.

I'm a old fart...there is a law of some kind that says I have to be opinionated and crotchety.
===================================
Not a law, a God given right and duty!

anything that had the 2.5/AW4 combo would have 4.56's.
might as well snatch the bellhousing too, for some 2.5 guy that wants an AW4.

FWIW, ours parts XJ was AW4, 2.5L and 4.56's.
Rare, but they are out there.

Hale

Like the others said, except that 2.5/AW4 combo was only offered in '87-'89 XJ and MJ model years (that should help narrow your search a bit, too)

Yes, they're rarer than hen's teeth....but I've got a 4.56 D30 from an 87 XJ and a 4.56 D35 (soon to be replaced by a D44) from an 88 MJ currently running under my MJ...woot. They are out there, somewhere....:eyes:

Jeff

87manche said:
anything that had the 2.5/AW4 combo would have 4.56's.
might as well snatch the bellhousing too, for some 2.5 guy that wants an AW4.

that's exactly what i needed to know! thanks. i know they are rare but there are a ton of that era xj's in this yard. most of which are 4cyl. that is why i am hopeful.

if i do find them the 4.10s under the plow jeep go under the dd with 31's. the 355 are ok now but would like some scoot factor back. the plow jeep gets the 4:56. the trail rig will get real axles.

Last edited:
Back