• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rodeo Dana 44

TackerT

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done the Rodeo D44 swap? I wanted to know if you can put xj d44 axle in to get rid of the 6lug. Or if it is to long or short?Or not a 30 spine?If anyone knows let me know what it takes to do the swap thanks.

I just this weekend helped install a Rodeo D44 into a Trooper.
Dsc03369.jpg

The axles are the same spline as a XJ44, we used a standard Detroit, but on the Rodeo D44, the left and right axles are the same exact length, on the XJ44 they are different lengths left and right.

By the way I had nothing to do with the Truss design that we joking refer to having elephantitis.

I run an Isuzu D44 rear, so does Powerman. Interesting question on whether an XJ D44 shaft might work, in that since the I44 is narrower than the XJ, and has equal length shafts, its possible that the shortside shaft on an XJ D44 might be close to the right length - if anyone has a measurement, I can compare it to my I44 spare tonight...

That said, the bearing retainers on the I44 axle are really different from most rear D44's, so I don't know if that could be overcome or not. No doubt you could redrill the I44 rotors to 5 on 4.5 if everything else worked...

53Guy (Nick) also built up a 94 Rodeo 44... that I modified a little and am currently running in my jeep.... I found it pretty interesting that the shaft's were 1.5" OD. and neck down at the splines...

Has anyone broken a shaft yet? Know where to order aftermarket? The only place I've found is Moser...

Here's how the truss I installed came out (from TNT):
pic001.jpg

Lookin hot Chris!! The Isuzu 44 is a good axle, why don't you want 6 lugs? If you're going to the trouble of putting this in, you must be running tires that exceed the d30, yes? Why not just stick with the 6 lug and throw a 6 lug up front? As far as the shafts, I have no idea. Sorry.

Back