• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 Cherokee Bangs into gear

browndr

NAXJA Forum User
94 Cherokee auto with 90k miles. Vehicle has factory aux cooler (trailer package) and fluid has been changed ever 30k.

Problem is when shifting from reverse to drive transmission engages very hard.

Here is what I know:
1. Problem is only from reverse to drive, either doesn't occur or isn't noticable from drive to reverse.
2. Only occurs when vehicle is at operating temperatures, after 30-40 miles at highway speeds.
3. Temperature is a major factor, not noticable in cold weather. The hotter it gets the more noticiable the problem.
4. Vehicle drives normal, no other issues with transmission noticed, shifting between gears during operation seems normal, even under load.

Two trips to different shops have produced bills but no results. The dealer said the idle position switch was bad and replaced it but that made no difference.

They don't seem to have any other ideas and I get the impression they have no troubleshooting skills beyond reading the scanner.

Any and all theories welcomed.
Cheers, Darryl

browndr said:
94 Cherokee auto with 90k miles. Vehicle has factory aux cooler (trailer package) and fluid has been changed ever 30k.

Problem is when shifting from reverse to drive transmission engages very hard.

Here is what I know:
1. Problem is only from reverse to drive, either doesn't occur or isn't noticable from drive to reverse.
2. Only occurs when vehicle is at operating temperatures, after 30-40 miles at highway speeds.
3. Temperature is a major factor, not noticable in cold weather. The hotter it gets the more noticiable the problem.
4. Vehicle drives normal, no other issues with transmission noticed, shifting between gears during operation seems normal, even under load.

Two trips to different shops have produced bills but no results. The dealer said the idle position switch was bad and replaced it but that made no difference.

They don't seem to have any other ideas and I get the impression they have no troubleshooting skills beyond reading the scanner.

Any and all theories welcomed.
Cheers, Darryl

Mine does this too, and I wouldn't worry, it's verrry common. Try greasing the U-joints, perhaps they're binding. I read something somewhere about the "yoke" being worn, but I quickly lost interest in the problem as it doesn't really annoy me. Whenever people ask me about it I just say "of course it does, it's a JEEP."

Every auto cherokee Ive ever been in did this. Whether well maintained or driven hard and put away wet. Mine @ 200k does it when warmed up, doesn't matter what the temp outside is. Clunk from park to reverse and from neutral to reverse or drive. But it shifts great and drives just fine, all the u-joints are new....etc....

Back