• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear DS Question

imthehink

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed that I was leaking a little ATF, so I got under there and my output seal is probably bad. I tried to wiggle th DS and noticed it had play where it slides into the slipyoke. Should there be any play where the rear DS goes into the slipyoke? Thanks

possible.
Pull the rear shaft and look at the splines for any sign of damage.

If all looks good there, it's possible that the output bearing in the case is going bad.
Any vibrations when you drive?

I have light vibes ocassionally around 45mph. The vibes only last about a couple seconds and go away. I f I tap on the gas while moving over 40mph, I get the vibes for a couple secs and then they stop,the vibes arn't constant . I have a 3.5" lift with no t case drop or sye if that helps.

Last edited:
since you have vibes I'd suspect that the bearing has taken a beating in the output.

tearing down a 231 doesn't seem like it's that hard, but I've never done it so I can't attest.
When you moved the driveshaft you're sure the play was at the yoke, it's not just a bad u-joint is it?

I'm at work so I havn't got a chance to pull the shaft to check the u joint. I'm hoping that's what it is. It looks like the play is in the yoke. I've only had it lifted at 3.5" for about a month now. it was at 2" before for about a year and a half. The vibes only started after I lifted it the extra 1.5". Maybe a t case drop would help?

Back