• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

attaching door guards, adhesives vs bolts

djblade311

NAXJA Member # 1474
NAXJA Member
I've seen ppl use either self-tapping metal screws and rivets for door guards and rear -quarter panel guards like:

rocker_03_t.jpg

I am wanting to prevent drilling holes into the doors and to get that smooth look. I'm wondering if anyone has used any adhesive type materials for that smooth look vs the bolts or rivets?

any recommendations or would the adhesives not be strong enough? molding tape probably wont do it I'm guessing.

djblade311 said:
I've seen ppl use either self-tapping metal screws and rivets for door guards and rear -quarter panel guards like:

rocker_03_t.jpg

I am wanting to prevent drilling holes into the doors and to get that smooth look. I'm wondering if anyone has used any adhesive type materials for that smooth look vs the bolts or rivets?

any recommendations or would the adhesives not be strong enough? molding tape probably wont do it I'm guessing.

Depends on your gap width and cure time and surface prep. If you can keep your gaps to under 1/8", get an oil free surface, and can prop them in place for 24 hours, 3M makes a moisture cure polyurethane adhesive for boats.

I used it one time to seal the top of some rock rails with just a small bead along the top edge. When I went to remove them, I had to take an 8' pipe with 3 mounted 33" MT/R's hanging off the end and let it hang overnight to break them loose. I imagine several beads would remove sheetmetal before the guard moved.

You might be able to find some countersunk self-tappers...

I've been debating what to do as well, since I have 3/16" lower door guards and rear quarter panel guards. I'd really like to not use rivets, as they were darn near impossible to get off the Jeep when I wanted them off, but they definitely held it on there well.

thx mrblaine.

ddeadserious, as I mentioned, I want to avoid tapping into the doors at all to have a clean look and to prevent drilling lots of holes. If the adhesive stuff doesnt hold up, then I will tap into the doors.

PL Premium by Bull Dog Grip

you can find it at Home Depot, it will hold your guards on and won't cause moisture to get behind it if you spread it correctly

My buddy and myself are using it on his samurai and it is super strong stuff. A buddy glued a wrench to a brick with it and throws it around his shop to show how strong it is... hasn't broke yet

itsHud said:
3M -#5200. It comes in white or black. Great stuff, but a little expensive.

Ken

That's what I used. Evil stuff if you want to get something back apart. Great stuff if you don't.

just an update

I picked up some 3M double sided tape from home depot (the strongest they had). It supported 5lbs per inch of tape and I ran 3 stripes along the length of the door guards...I can't pull em off so they will hold just fine. :)

Now my door lines are nice n smooth. Looks clean!

Thanks again

I used silicone to do some wild stuff with metal in the past. We had a generator with an 8hp briggs motor throw a rod once due to a bent crankshaft, and the rod punched through the block. we found the peice and cleaned it up and siliconed it back in. Never leaked and held perfectly. that was 12 years ago and i still have and use that generator.

I also have used it to repair cracked engine blocks. it was in a 96 aerostar that we used for a ranch vehicle.

That would probably work, or some of that Simpson Construction Epoxy. Granted, your paint would be ruined.

I have smooth PMW quarters and door guards. I used 3M double sided molding tape AND 1/4" SS rivets behind the taillight and door jam.

quarterguards013.jpg

those quarter panel guards are pretty nice. Does Chris at PMW still make those? I cant find em on his website

djblade311 said:
those quarter panel guards are pretty nice. Does Chris at PMW still make those? I cant find em on his website

I am not sure if he ever made 97+ for production. These are prototypes that he made for me.

Watch out with that foam tape. I'd say use an adhesive (check with Eastwood - they do body & resto stuff,) make sure you get good coverage, and that you follow instructions.

Advantage? The backside of the thing will be fully sealed against moisture/crud/dirt/dust/whatever intrusion, so you don't have to worry about "door cancer" later. If I were to use screws, I'd probably still coat the backside of the thing with silicone to seal it.

5-90 said:
Watch out with that foam tape. I'd say use an adhesive (check with Eastwood - they do body & resto stuff,) make sure you get good coverage, and that you follow instructions.

Advantage? The backside of the thing will be fully sealed against moisture/crud/dirt/dust/whatever intrusion, so you don't have to worry about "door cancer" later. If I were to use screws, I'd probably still coat the backside of the thing with silicone to seal it.

That is why I ran my 3M tape vertically so that no water could build up. Now remember that as long as you have a flawless paint job, you should have no problems. This is the same stuff that all of the OEMs use to hold on flairs, moldings, emblems, and wings. Where people get into trouble is they install door guards or what not, over a microscopic rock chip and that is all it takes to start rust

XJourney said:
That is why I ran my 3M tape vertically so that no water could build up. Now remember that as long as you have a flawless paint job, you should have no problems. This is the same stuff that all of the OEMs use to hold on flairs, moldings, emblems, and wings. Where people get into trouble is they install door guards or what not, over a microscopic rock chip and that is all it takes to start rust

There's a key word in that post - "flawless." That means careful inspection (you're not wrong - I just want to make sure that "flawless" is clearly defined here...)

hey if the 3M stuff lets go try Gorrilla Tape. Its made by the same people that made gorrilla glue. I have a friend who swears by the stuff, He wood put a whole car together with it given the oppertunity.

BarracudaBlueXJ said:
hey if the 3M stuff lets go try Gorrilla Tape. Its made by the same people that made gorrilla glue. I have a friend who swears by the stuff, He wood put a whole car together with it given the oppertunity.

Um... they dont make 2 sided tape. Is he suppose to tape all the edges of the gurads to his panels? If so... that would look... err..... off.
hand_half.jpg

:laugh2:

Back