• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tru-Trac

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have this clicking sound that sounds like a u joint going bad. I’ve replaced both joints and the bearings nothing is rubbing and the shafts look good. This clicking only happens when turning (this is in 2wd). Is this possibly my Tru-trac, It’s only started in the last 2 months it’s not a always thing either. But it’s irking me to no end I keep thinking something is going to break

Yeah, its a true-trac with clutch packs.
Add some slip modifier to the gear oil (4 to 7 oz.) so the friction plates stop chattering.

DaffyXJ said:
Yeah, its a true-trac with clutch packs.
Add some slip modifier to the gear oil (4 to 7 oz.) so the friction plates stop chattering.

A True-Trac has no clutches, it is an all gear unit. No modifiers nessesary. Have you checked your hubs? When I had my True-Trac it never made any noise, but it could be the unit. You can put the front on jack stands and try to isolate the sound.

Rob $.02

FELIX said:
A True-Trac has no clutches, it is an all gear unit. No modifiers nessesary. Have you checked your hubs? When I had my True-Trac it never made any noise, but it could be the unit. You can put the front on jack stands and try to isolate the sound.

Rob $.02

x2, i had them front & back and they never made a sound. But anything is possible.

My Tru Trac made no noises either till it went CRUNCH!!!

It didn't start until recent but I can't think of anything else that would make the noise well I hope I don't find out the hard way

new twist: when this starts to happen if I set my foot on the brake pedel it goes away. So I guess I'll try and replace them next. I hate chasing a ghost

not trying to scare you, but when my wifes axle started clicking and we opened the diff cover this is what it looked like
crackedcarrier.jpg

crackedcarrier2.jpg

brokenbolt.jpg

when we pulled it out of the housing, it looked like this
bigcrackcarrier.jpg

insidecarrier.jpg

so you might wanna pull the diff cover just to be sure.

FELIX said:

Rob $.02

oops, my bad.

scorpio_vette said:
no reason to be scared......wanna know what my wife said when she saw her trutrac was cracked???...................."now i can get one of those electric lockers".....

lol my wife rocks. lol

No doubt. Wine to relax you, espresso to perk you up...Plus you get to work in the kitchen, close to the food and beer.

OK more info now: I did something really stupid and wouldn't suggest anyone to do this but I put the rig up on jack stands all the way around and put it in gear, wow the whole front end would shake when I turned left or right. But it actully sounded like it was coming from the tcase instead of the axle, Well I stuck my stupid head under there and it seemed like it was coming from the DS which I just finished rebuilding. Well I removed it and sure enough the clunking stopped.
I can only figure it's because of the angle but damn the reason I installed a SYE was so I could set the tcase back up where it suppose to be.

So Darick you were partly right it was the ds but it seems like it's the angle.

Last edited:
did you put the jackstands under the axles or under the body??? if you put it under the body, then you would have full droop which may or may not cause a slight bind in the rear shaft (it shouldn't though).

also how much lift do you have installed??? it could be that your pinion angle is wrong. sometimes they do have to be corrected even with a SYE.

and the noise went away when you pulled the rear shaft, but did you try spinning the tires by hand??? if you just pulled the shaft and started it back up, then there obviously isn't any load on the rear axle. i would still recommend pulling the diff cover just to be safe.

scorpio_vette said:
did you put the jackstands under the axles or under the body??? if you put it under the body, then you would have full droop which may or may not cause a slight bind in the rear shaft (it shouldn't though).

also how much lift do you have installed??? it could be that your pinion angle is wrong. sometimes they do have to be corrected even with a SYE.

and the noise went away when you pulled the rear shaft, but did you try spinning the tires by hand??? if you just pulled the shaft and started it back up, then there obviously isn't any load on the rear axle. i would still recommend pulling the diff cover just to be safe.
This is up front I removed the front shaft and had the axles on the stands so it was at normal running stance.

oops my bad. but the same thing applies. did you try spinning the tires by hand???

it could also be that when you rebuild the front shaft, one of the joints might have bound up. and open the diff cover. :)

Back