• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reseting check engine light.

volksr32

NAXJA Forum User
so i failed emmisions test with a p0442 code. from searching on here, it means small leak somewhere in the evap system. looked at my canister today and noticed there is a large crack in the canister purge tube. so i went to dealership (only place i can get the part) and purchased it. will be in tomorow. so what i need to know is, after i install the new line then i reset the engine light? is there any certain way that i should be doing this? also, i do not have a scanning tool for the codes. are there any tricks to reseting it or should i take it somewhere to get it done? :dunno: sorry if my post doesnt make much sense but i rarely post up anything. thanks

You can disconnect the battery for 5 minutes or so and that should reset, but the best way is to have someone clear it. It should clear by itself after so many cycles if you fix the problem.

I bought a cheap code reader on Ebay and it works great.

It only takes about 10 seconds actually. Just pull the ground off the battery, wait ten seconds(might as well clean your terminals while your there) and hook it back up. Should work fine.

Back