• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Requesting advice and assistance...

SanDiegoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, two things here...first, I'm slowly getting my rig into shape so I can go play with you guys without fear of totally dismantling my vehicle, so I just got AJ's Superrails so I have at least some body protection. The only thing is, the self tapping bolts don't leave too confident, so I was hoping someone in the area might have access to a welder and the skill to use it (Lord knows I don't). I'd like to get it welded straight to the frame, and perhaps the pinch seam as well.

Second, so I don't have to back down more trails than necessary, I'm gonna throw a locker in the back next month. Rocky Road Outfitters has a decent price on a powertrax, so I was thinking of going that route...it's about $100 less than the detroit plus I can do the install myself, and with the 8.25 27 spline, I figure it will be plenty of locker for now. Only thing is, I'd prefer to sponsor my local shops vs. someone out of town....anyone know of a local vendor that can help me out? (And by local I mean San Diego or Orange counties)

TIA

Michael

What size tires you plan on running? I'd highly recommend upgrading to 29 spline axles before you invest in a locker.

I installed my rails with self tapping bolts and they work fine......the trick is mounting them FLUSH with the pinch seam and then bolting the rails to the seam.....if your rails are designed that way....if not I would weld them too.

Why dont you install the locker yourself???? it takes minimum tools and skill to install a luchbox locker....I did it in about 2hrs on a D44 my first time ever opening a diff. There is plenty of write-ups on GOOGLE! good luck.

GNARLY1 said:
Why dont you install the locker yourself???

If I do a powertrax, I will do the install myself. I just don't feel comfortable resetting ring gears so I would have to pay to have a real locker installed...what I was getting at is that a lunchbox would be a little cheaper up front and save me the cost of an install as well.

And I don't plan on running any more than 33's. If I go bigger than that I'll start looking at a real axle upgrade like D44 or 9" and then I'll go with the ARB.

Two things about the rails.

First, don't weld them to the pinch seam, bolts should work fine there. When you do have them welded to the frame rails just have them welded in a way that you can grind out fairly easily - that way if you ever need to take them down you're not totally screwed ;)

Second, I wouldn't weld them to the frame rails without first putting frame stiffiners on (I have TNT Custom's set, they fit GREAT). Reasons are 1: If you're welding there anyway you might as well be more productive. 2: You want them anyway. 3: Easier to deal with cutting them off / re-welding them if you've got 3/16" there...

Back