• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Routing for winch power

90Blue_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just built a winch bumper and mounted the winch. I want to run the two leads into the engine compartment through one of the two oval holes in the front facia below the grill, probably the one on the passenger side. If I go directly into the engine compartment they would run extremely close to the fan and shroud....which scares me a little. The next alternative is to run them under the frame and up behind the headlight on the passenger side. I can wrap them in heater hose to protect them from sharp metal edges but that will still leave them un-protected from rocks and other objects I may cross.
Where should I route them? What have all you winch owners done about this problem in your winch installation???

I went through the larger oval hole on the passenger side. Then I zip tied it over the lip of the frame and ran it back until I could bring it straight up between the battery and coolant bottle, then wrapped each wire in heat resistant loom, seems like it works well so far, if the damn Jeep ever makes it off the jack stands....but thats another story. For the short few days I ran with it they seemed clear of all the fans and all, and no problems I can see.

I ran mine the same way 4 or 5 month ago. No problems yet. I keep thinking something will at some time find it's way to damage it.

EMSJEEP said:
I went through the larger oval hole on the passenger side. Then I zip tied it over the lip of the frame and ran it back until I could bring it straight up between the battery and coolant bottle, then wrapped each wire in heat resistant loom, seems like it works well so far, if the damn Jeep ever makes it off the jack stands....but thats another story. For the short few days I ran with it they seemed clear of all the fans and all, and no problems I can see.

Gonna try it your way it seems to make the most sense but don't know what to use for heat resistant loom. What did you use. Besides that tape for headers I can't think of anything.

i ran mine the same way, but used scraps of hose (small dia heater hose?) to keep from chafing... it's been that way for a year or so with no issues.

mikeforte said:
Gonna try it your way it seems to make the most sense but don't know what to use for heat resistant loom. What did you use. Besides that tape for headers I can't think of anything.

Try "heat sleeve" when you're looking for that stuff. I know speed shops carry it in sizes that fit over most spark plug wires, so see if they have anything larger.

If they don't, try a hydraulic shop - it's easier to find there, and they've got more sizes. Ask for the woven tubing that protects hydraulic hoses - it's also heat-resistant, and tougher than the hinges of Hell...

5-90 said:
Try "heat sleeve" when you're looking for that stuff. I know speed shops carry it in sizes that fit over most spark plug wires, so see if they have anything larger.

If they don't, try a hydraulic shop - it's easier to find there, and they've got more sizes. Ask for the woven tubing that protects hydraulic hoses - it's also heat-resistant, and tougher than the hinges of Hell...

Got a hydralic shop right behind my house in a new industrial park. I'll give them a call in the AM. Thanks
I've seen that stuff, in fact I think there is some on my radiator hoses where they contact the A/C compressor. Never iknew what it was called or that it was heat resistant.

Also thanks to EMSJEEP for your ideas and encouragement over what is a silly question to most people.

mikeforte said:
Got a hydralic shop right behind my house in a new industrial park. I'll give them a call in the AM. Thanks
I've seen that stuff, in fact I think there is some on my radiator hoses where they contact the A/C compressor. Never iknew what it was called or that it was heat resistant.

Also thanks to EMSJEEP for your ideas and encouragement over what is a silly question to most people.

That stuff over the hoses is either "split loom" (corrugated tubing split down the side) or "nylon bundling braid" (works like a Chinese finger trap, but it's not split.) Either will help against abrasion - but does nothing whatever against heat. It will just melt before the insulation does.

Get something that is specified for heat, if that's what you need. Also, those two sleeves will work against a little abrasion - but the hydraulic stuff is heavy. Ask them to show you some - you'll want it for something sooner or later anyhow...

Just for kicks I put a propane torch to the fire retardant stuff...it held up longer than I would have expected...if you need more than that maybe its time to find a better route for your wires....either that or invest in some PVC conduit. Running wires through the engine compartment is not the best way to avoid heat, but do you really need to in this application? The split loom, as far as I have seen will protect the wires pretty well from flame and excessive heat, but if we're talking fire, I think there are bigger problems. So long as the insulation is intact the wires would probly be fine without any protection as long as they didn't find a fan or a rock and are tied down well...

Route the leads behind the battery, next to the radiator, through the slots in the grill. Use zip ties, no need for heat insulation.You could use the split-loom for U.V. protection, no need for abrasion protection if routed and zip tied correctly.

Got it done and hope I did it right..............WE WILL SEE IF IT HOLDS UP UNDER STRESS BECAUSE IT STRESSED THE POOP OUTTA ME!!!!

Back