• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30-rubicon 44 shafts? easy 30 spline up grade?????

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I was thinking if the rubicon 44 axles - I believe are 30 splines-which -again just THOUGHT-are the same length as the dana 30 shafts-could you possibly use rubicon 44 shafts -uni bearings and a 30 spline lockright or 44 spider gears - do ya think it will go into the dana 30 carrier??since the outer knuckles are the same bolt on as the dana 30 ones.This would ba a decent dana 30 upgrade using factory parts.I dunno correct me if Im wrong but it sounds good.There is a dana 30 - 30 spline upgrade out there - just wondering if they are using rubi 44 parts for that and makin a killing off this?????

the 30 spline stuff I've seen for the D30 is all alloy.

I don't know if any of that would work, but if you're getting all of those parts, why not just get the whole housing from a wrecked rubi in the junkyard?

It was just a thought.I would definitly use the rubi 44 front housing as well cause the highest gears for the dana 30 is 4.88,and I need 5.13's.Just bored at werk starin at my empty rear 44 housing sitting in the corner............:wow: and got to thinking.Not that it was GOOD just seein if anybody else thought of this.A lot of rubi owners upgrade to alloy shafts and you can find them pretty cheap on other forums.

markaboo929 said:
Hey I was thinking if the rubicon 44 axles - I believe are 30 splines-which -again just THOUGHT-are the same length as the dana 30 shafts-could you possibly use rubicon 44 shafts -uni bearings and a 30 spline lockright or 44 spider gears - do ya think it will go into the dana 30 carrier??since the outer knuckles are the same bolt on as the dana 30 ones.This would ba a decent dana 30 upgrade using factory parts.I dunno correct me if Im wrong but it sounds good.There is a dana 30 - 30 spline upgrade out there - just wondering if they are using rubi 44 parts for that and makin a killing off this?????

"since the outer knuckles are the same bolt on as the dana 30 ones.This would ba a decent dana 30 upgrade using factory parts."

you do know that the outers on a rubi-44 are d-30 only the inner shafts are d44 its really a hybrid..

i'm not sure what the ring diameter diference is between d-30 & d44 but that would be a simple starting point to see if the innards from a d44 carrier will fit into a d30 carrier..

yeah I knew the outer knuckles are the same-but as for the inners that is the question- I do believe the u-joints are the same also 297x so the inners should go onto the outer stub shafts-If you were going to get a lockright or sumthing like that why noy get a 44 lockright and get rubi shafts if you were going to upgrade from the smaller 260x u-joints anyways???All that i can think of is to actually mesure the locker next to a dana 30 locker and compare the 2-I dont have either one to measure or else i would know.If I only had the dimentions you would be able to tell if it would werk-so that being said possible just need dana 44 lockright and rubi 44 inner shafts or assembly to upgrade to 30 splines for just those 2 parts???well actually 5 parts technically- 1-44 locker,2-drivers side inner shaft,3-passengers inner shaft,4-drivers outter stub shaft,5-passengers outter stub shaft.:sunshine:

D-44 carrier / center section is wider then a D-30. Housings are the same OVERALL width, but the actual tubes on a D-30 are longer. Would you get full axle spline engagement from the -44 shafts in the -30 housing?

IF the wheel to wheel mounting points are the same on a dana 30 and the dana 44 rubi-they should be,because can't you bolt in a TJ axle-rubi 44- in an Xj? I understand you're point about the overall WMS-all be it the 30 tubes are longer - would'nt the shafts be corosponding as well to make up the difference?I am just curious about this,due to you can get 30 spline carriers- like ARB AND Detroit.I was wondering if they are marketing a rubi 44 carrier/locker as a "30 spline upgrade " for the dana 30,or is it actually a specific machined piece for the dana 30.I dunno I was just pondering at werk while bored........But it does strike some other thoughts out there.......:eeks1:

Wow........I think my head hurts now.

The long and short of it is, the Super 30 Upgrade that ARB offers uses the same inner shafts as the Rubicon 44. From the research I've done and what I've been told is as long as you use a 30 spline Dana 30 locker, there are a few out there, you just need a set of rubi inner shafts.

If you think about it, the inners are the same length, both have to meet at the center pin of the axle. And since both the Rubi and non rubi wranglers use very similar chain driven t/c's, meaning that the input to front output location is relatively the same and the driver's side upper control arm mount is cast into the housing needs to be in the same location for the suspension to work; one would deduce that the center pins of both axle needs to be in the relatively same location. Hence the inners are the same if not very, very similar in length between the Dana 30 and Rubi-44.

markaboo929 said:
IF the wheel to wheel mounting points are the same on a dana 30 and the dana 44 rubi-they should be,because can't you bolt in a TJ axle-rubi 44- in an Xj? I understand you're point about the overall WMS-all be it the 30 tubes are longer - would'nt the shafts be corosponding as well to make up the difference?I am just curious about this,due to you can get 30 spline carriers- like ARB AND Detroit.I was wondering if they are marketing a rubi 44 carrier/locker as a "30 spline upgrade " for the dana 30,or is it actually a specific machined piece for the dana 30.I dunno I was just pondering at werk while bored........But it does strike some other thoughts out there.......:eeks1:

Actually they are direct swaps, except for the pinion u-joint.

CartsXJ said:
Actually they are direct swaps, except for the pinion u-joint.

For that though you should be able to get a 1310/1330 u-joint so you can run your stock 1310 XJ driveshaft. The XJ ds is nice being that's it's a double cardan, I run 1 in the back of my rig as well and it's a heck of a lot easier changing out a ds than a axleshaft, u-joint, and who knows what else on the trail as well as they are very cheap too.

I'm thinking about a Rubi 44 for my 98' dd XJ as well as the 87' XJ 44 for the rear. Nice way to run dual 44's eventhough the front isn't really a true 44, but rather a beefed up 30 in reality.

Troy

Big Red said:
For that though you should be able to get a 1310/1330 u-joint so you can run your stock 1310 XJ driveshaft. The XJ ds is nice being that's it's a double cardan, I run 1 in the back of my rig as well and it's a heck of a lot easier changing out a ds than a axleshaft, u-joint, and who knows what else on the trail as well as they are very cheap too.

I'm thinking about a Rubi 44 for my 98' dd XJ as well as the 87' XJ 44 for the rear. Nice way to run dual 44's eventhough the front isn't really a true 44, but rather a beefed up 30 in reality.

Troy

I just did a rubi 44 in my 98. Just change the pinion yoke to a 1310 and you will be able to replace it or find a trail spare down the road. Not sure why but I was told the combi joints arn't as strong as a square joint 1310. The pumkin is bigger and you must shorten the drive shaft. I was going to upgrade my driveshaft end to 1330 but it looked like it would hit the down pipe. So I just upgraded the slip yoke to a larger spline count shaft when I had it shortened and installed the new yoke. Drive shaft shop stocks the yoke and you should bring it with you because the 44's used different size seals. Another advantage to changing the yoke is that you can upgrade it to a u-bolt style yoke. This style yoke is stronger plus you get rid of the straps. It's not anywhere near the same as drilling out a strap style because it's a different/better design alltogether.

CartsXJ said:
Wow........I think my head hurts now.

The long and short of it is, the Super 30 Upgrade that ARB offers uses the same inner shafts as the Rubicon 44. From the research I've done and what I've been told is as long as you use a 30 spline Dana 30 locker, there are a few out there, you just need a set of rubi inner shafts.

If you think about it, the inners are the same length, both have to meet at the center pin of the axle. And since both the Rubi and non rubi wranglers use very similar chain driven t/c's, meaning that the input to front output location is relatively the same and the driver's side upper control arm mount is cast into the housing needs to be in the same location for the suspension to work; one would deduce that the center pins of both axle needs to be in the relatively same location. Hence the inners are the same if not very, very similar in length between the Dana 30 and Rubi-44.

The inners are very very similar if that is your definition of a full half inch difference in length. The 30 Inner I measured was 32.25 in length and the Rubi 44 inner is 31.75", both measured from the center of the u-joint to the end of the splines.

Stumpalump said:
I just did a rubi 44 in my 98. Just change the pinion yoke to a 1310 and you will be able to replace it or find a trail spare down the road. Not sure why but I was told the combi joints arn't as strong as a square joint 1310. The pumkin is bigger and you must shorten the drive shaft. I was going to upgrade my driveshaft end to 1330 but it looked like it would hit the down pipe. So I just upgraded the slip yoke to a larger spline count shaft when I had it shortened and installed the new yoke. Drive shaft shop stocks the yoke and you should bring it with you because the 44's used different size seals. Another advantage to changing the yoke is that you can upgrade it to a u-bolt style yoke. This style yoke is stronger plus you get rid of the straps. It's not anywhere near the same as drilling out a strap style because it's a different/better design alltogether.

With the Rubi 44 being a regular low pinion axle and going from the HP30, do you need to shorten the stock XJ driveshaft? Thanks for the feedback. Where did you find the Rubi 44...on ebay?

Troy

Big Red said:
With the Rubi 44 being a regular low pinion axle and going from the HP30, do you need to shorten the stock XJ driveshaft? Thanks for the feedback. Where did you find the Rubi 44...on ebay?

Troy
Yes you will still have to shorten it. I found it right here under the Colorado chapter for sale items. The Jeep mechanic I bought it from said that Jeep sells the 44 housing with gears and lockers minus the shafts and outers as one part number but that they will end this when they run out. Still may be worth a try and parts managers have been know to cut deals. It comes with ball joints and controll arm bushings. I added cro-mo axels,warn hubs,and the 4.88 gears set up fast with just a pinion shim removed. I called a few junkyards and the whole front end is available thru a search but they don't last long and prices are all over the place.

Back