• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dyeing a carpet?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I'v been looking for a decent black carpet to replace the tan carpet in my rig without much luck. Has anyone Dye'd their carpet? What did you use and how was it done?

This Jeep sees alot of firewood runs when camping, Jeep parts transport at times etc. I'd like to have something that hides the stains better vs pulling it and hitting with a power washer several times a year.

Dyed carpet or upholstry looks like poo and it never lasts. I just saw some black carpet on the For Sale part of the forum. Try the junkyard too.

As well, I've seen ads for vehicle carpet, specific fit for vehicles, for hundred bucks, you really can't beat that. JcWhitney's?

It would probably cost just as much to replace the carpet with bed liner. Do some search's for some Jeep auto carpet.

I hear ya, but i still rather not spend $100+ on a carpet. You see my XJ days are coming to an end, i'v replaced my wife's and will replace mine with most likely a Grand in a few years.

It's going to be painted and a new headliner in July/August, i'd like to swap in a dark carpet at the same time. I'v been looking in the local u-pulls and most are well worn.

If Dyeing this is not a good option i'll just keep looking or cleaning this one.

Tim, i looked and couldnt find the black one in classifieds? All i saw was a 98 in Gray.

Here's what I did. I learned this from my father from when they'd freshen up trade-ins back in the 60s. It worked GREAT!

-Remove the Carpet
-Vacuum it out and beat it out (get all the crap out as best you can)
-hose the carpet down and work in some good soap with water (I used simple green)
-hose the carpet out
-get fabric dye from WalMart that is just slightly darker than the original hue of your carpeting (this way it will hide the stains that you couldn't get out and put an even color on every thing when the dye sets)
-mix the dye with the appropriate amount of warm water as per the instructions along with more of the soap you previously used
-work the dye/soap/water mixture into the carpeting with your hands while wearing rubber gloves
-Let the Dye/Soap/Water mixture work in for about 45 minutes
-hand the carpet up and hose it out
-Let it dry and re-install

I actually wound up mixing half dark brown and half light brown dye to freshen up the 'Sand' colored carpet in my '90.

The spray carpet/upholstery dye is crap for floor carpeting since it stiffens the carpeting up too much. Its good for the carpeting on door panels, though, which don't get foot traffic.

-Ted

Back