• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac-Bar Alignment

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
How do you make sure your adjustable trac-bar is keeping the axle sitting even? I think the person who put my adj trac-bar on tightened it with the vehicle in the air......Does this sound right:
1) un-bolt trac-bar at axle
2) Jack truck up
3) sit truck back down and bounce the suspension to ensure the axle is sitting where it is supposed to
4) adjust trac-bar until it lines up with the bolt hole on the axle mount
5) tighten trac-bar adjustment bolt and trac-bar to axle bolt
6) sit back and laugh at how easy this was

With the track bar disconnected, you can use the steering wheel to position the body over the axle until it's lined up right. Other than that it's not rocket science.

I noticed after installing my 3 link long arm kit that the axle doesn't center when you just bounce it. Like vetteboy said, just use the steering wheel to align it. Measure from the tires to the wheel well. It's pretty easy really.

so just to confirm:

disco/ it, turn the wheels to and fro a few times, center the wheel and adjust and retighten?

simple as that?

Nav

thenav said:
so just to confirm:

disco/ it, turn the wheels to and fro a few times, center the wheel and adjust and retighten?

simple as that?

Nav

No. No need to turn it back and forth. Use the wheel to center the rig over the axle, hold it there, and adjust the bar so it stays there.

thenav said:
how do you mean 'use the wheel' to center the truck? *sorry dont mean to sound dumb*

thanks,

Nav

Unbolt the trackbar from the frame end while the Jeep is on level ground. Get in and move the steering wheel and you will understand what he is refering to.
It's a two person job to get it back on. One to move the steering wheel, and the other to bolt it back up. Once you have it bolted back up, you can adjust the draglink to center your steering wheel.

Hale

now to add to that,

i just ran outside to adjust my trac bar, and i understand now what vetteboy means, but how do you know that the axel is centered? the truck raises or lowers (hood) when turned and when the wheel is left slack it seats itslef. but it doesnt make it centered. so i had someone move it as i was upfront and tried different positions in the wheel and locked the trac bar in place, but it still doesnt "look" center. is there a way to measure exactly center? Ive tried from frame to inside of the wheel; from control arms to frame ect. there's got to be an easy way to do this.. either that or im pretty petarded :( *again sorry if i seem anoying.. ive tried searching for quite sometime honestly!
thanks for your patience

Nav

Just measure. Use a (common to both sides) point on the body and measure to a (common) point on the axle. Get the two measurements as close to the same as you can.

OR, you can just eyeball it.

:wave1:

Hale

Back