• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axel i.d.

bigdaddyjlove

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I've done a few searches, to no result. Someone posted a link to a site with a list of identifiing numbers on axels.

Can anyone help me find this?

Sorry, should have been more specific. The link showed how to read i.d. tags to determine an axels innards. Specifically, I'm trying a For 8.8 swap and would like to be able to check gear ratios at the junk yard without spinning wheels all morning.

bigdaddyjlove said:
Sorry, should have been more specific. The link showed how to read i.d. tags to determine an axels innards. Specifically, I'm trying a For 8.8 swap and would like to be able to check gear ratios at the junk yard without spinning wheels all morning.

Basically, you read the tag. Otherwise, you need to pull the cover and count the teeth. If there's an "L" in there, it has LS. Most will likely be 3.73s, but there are some 4.10s out there as well.

bigdaddyjlove said:
Thanks,

I've been reading up on this swap. Looks like a pretty cheap way to get a stronger axle and a posi in one go

Ha ha--it can be cheap, OR it can turn into a pretty pricey endeavor. Having just spent another $200 on brake hardware, I calculate I have just about $2,700 in my 8.8 (and it's yet to go under the truck).

Back