• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny grinded, uh oh

jeepxj2007

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I was in a hurry today and rushed backing up into spot, I don't know if my tranny grinded or the wheels rubbing, it just sounded like a grind, its an aw4, i don't do this ever, but i was in a hurry, i heard it grind and hurried up and threw it into neutral cuz i was moving forward and threw it into reverse, it did it for a tops of 5 seconds, at the most and was a lot shorter than that, do you think i caused any serious damage to my tranny?...or should i just forget about it and not worry, it shifted fine and made no noises on the way home

engine didnt stall out or anything? i shifted into reverse going 15-25ish mph a while back accidentally and my engine stalled out on me. i dont remember what i heard anymore but I havent had any problems with the aw4 since. if i remember correctly that was last november.

didn't even do a thing to the engine, im pretty sure it was the tranny, but my tires rub when i turn on the lca's, and i was turnign a lil, but i didn't recall having the wheel turned that far to make them rub, it just sounded like a grind like what it does when the tires rub or like my old cj's tranny when the clutch was near its end, do u think its fine or should i worry?I doubt i was going over 10 mph also, im saying that to be safe, i highly doubt i was even going close 7 mph

The maximum reverse spec on the AW-4 is 4.5mph, so you might have hurt it.

Really though- the only time a good trans will make a metallic noise is if you hit park while still moving. It'll make a hell of a racket at 30, a few bangs at 10mph.

should i worry or no?, i don't think i was going even 4mph, but i dunno it was really quick, i was going forwards and stopping while turning, and then reverse, and then i heard it, but i didn't think i was moving that fast but never heard that noise before, then at park and i put it in reverse again and heard nothign, everything shifts fine now with no noises, should i forget about it or does it need inspection?

Last edited:
Back