• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition switch connector

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
one of the ignition connectors on my 92 XJ is melted and broken. found it when I went to change out the malfunctioning switch.

I was going to obtain another connector from a donor XJ and then use crimped solderless connectors and tape or shrink tube to insulate.

Do you think that is an acceptable way of replacing the damaged connector?

Thanks

I use those for everything. I prefer them over soldering because the wire looks cleaner and is much easier to assemble. Just make sure you insulate the crimps with enough heat-shrink tubing to prevent any shorts. Then, wrap the bundle tightly in electrical tape. (Use the GOOD stuff made by 3M. I know it costs five times as much as the stuff from China, but the difference in quality is quite apparent. 3M tape will last forever.)

I'm not sure what type of crimp connector you plan on using, but I've always had success with non-insulated butt splices. Their profile is very small and is well-suited for heat-shrink tubing. The "normal" butt splices usually come in different colors pertaining to wire gauge (red, blue, yellow, etc.), but are often too bulky for the kind of stuff I do.

A good crimper is imperative, too. If possible, stay away from the cheap stamped-steel crimper/stripper/cutter/splicer/etc. They will work, but the crimp strength is marginal. I use a heavy-duty ratcheting crimper and I've never had a wire come undone.

crimper.jpg

Agreed. Those little butt connectors are oh so nice looking if you do it right. Just see if you can track down the ones without the insulated boot if you want a really clean look, that way you can cover the whole shebang up with a nicely done piece of shrink tubing.

Of course, the ones with insulated boots are just fine, no problems in using them, it just looks cleaner to go straight shrink tube. Sometimes if i run out of the non-insulated ones i try and put some dielectric grease on the wire and int the connector. If it's one i worry about, I go overkill, Dielectric grease, a bit of brush on electric tape, shrink tubing and regular electrical tape.

And seriously, even if you have to order the ratchet crimper online and live with whatever you can use for six to eight weeks, your life will improve tremendously with the addition of those crimpers. The difference is truly astonishing. No more wires pulling out from the connector for no good reason. So worth it.

Back