• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

let's see rear coil flex shots

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
yes i made a pic request. i love the idea of converting to a rear 4link or other rear coil setup, and would like to see some pics of people with their setups and their likes and dislikes. :)

DSC01593.JPG

DSC01592.JPG

DSC01584.JPG

DSC01562.JPG

Works really well so far. Problem in my case is just that the coils are short - those are stock ZJ rear springs. Eventually I'll be going to coilovers but for now with a little bit more tweaking on the bumpstops it works ok.

If all you're looking to do is get more flex, don't bother with a 4-link.

This is a dude i wheeled with out at the Rockin XJ Jambo back in Nov. MAD flex in the rear. really makes me want to do the rear coil conversion...
n6310842_30708681_5922.jpg

sorry for the hijack but this is a request :D vetteboy do you know what xj front coil gives what amount of lift in the rear using custom or claytons parts? i have some old skyjacker 3" fronts laying around. i always thought they would give me 9-10

My front is Rusty's 4.5" coils, a 1.5" coil spacer, and the axle side coil perches are around 1.5" higher than a stock D30 due to the larger axle tubes etc. So I figure I have around 7.5" lift in the front, and the rear is pretty well even with stock zj rear springs under the frame rail. Another inch of lift in the rear would be ideal as it would be level when loaded with a full tank / spares / etc.

WheelinJR said:
RTI score the first time was really damn high. I wanna say 930-940+ I think I saw 925 on his first one, but the second time he got up much further.

100_0919.jpg

that brake line scares me :explosion

Why is everyone putting there coils under the unibody. I have a set of 4" lift pathfinder coils that I will be using in the rear but don't understand why they are under the unibody. I will be running a 9" ford rear and 44 front out of a f-250 (i belive) and really don't want anymore then 6" of lift in the rear. I live by the idea of 5" upflex 18" downflex. going to run 36x12.5 tsl bias.

Will

littlebluexj said:
Why is everyone putting there coils under the unibody. I have a set of 4" lift pathfinder coils that I will be using in the rear but don't understand why they are under the unibody. I will be running a 9" ford rear and 44 front out of a f-250 (i belive) and really don't want anymore then 6" of lift in the rear. I live by the idea of 5" upflex 18" downflex. going to run 36x12.5 tsl bias.

Will

what do you mean by "under the unibody"??? where else would you put them???

and i'm loving the pics guys. keep em coming. i'm seeing some nice ideas i like.

WheelinJR said:
on the roof of course, lol

seriously I think he means under the "frame rail" versus moving them up higher. my best guess would be using that for strength.

So, like this?

DSC04656.jpg

Because it's a lot more difficult to brace that properly, and you end up with this:

DSC04660.jpg

littlebluexj said:
I have a set of 4" lift pathfinder coils that I will be using in the rear but don't understand why they are under the unibody. I will be running a 9" ford rear and 44 front out of a f-250 (i belive) and really don't want anymore then 6" of lift in the rear. I live by the idea of 5" upflex 18" downflex. going to run 36x12.5 tsl bias.

I would suggest not limiting yourself to a particular spring. Build around a standard thing, like an XJ front or ZJ spring, so you have a lot of options to play with. I tried V8 ZJ fronts (way too tall), Chevy Camaro rear springs (right height but too soft), and now I'm on the stock ZJ rears which work well.

What kind of shock angle do you run that allows for +5/-18? Why those particular numbers? Sounds a bit excessive IMO.

vetteboy said:
So, like this?

DSC04656.jpg

Because it's a lot more difficult to brace that properly, and you end up with this:

DSC04660.jpg

I would suggest not limiting yourself to a particular spring. Build around a standard thing, like an XJ front or ZJ spring, so you have a lot of options to play with. I tried V8 ZJ fronts (way too tall), Chevy Camaro rear springs (right height but too soft), and now I'm on the stock ZJ rears which work well.

What kind of shock angle do you run that allows for +5/-18? Why those particular numbers? Sounds a bit excessive IMO.

thats simply due to welding straight to the frame rail and not plating it, not the locations of the spring pad. if he made a U shaped plate that wrapped all 3 sides of the frame rail then welded to that it would be prefectly fine, no need to have them under the frame rail but you do need to build it properly.

ok sorry it took so long to get back to everyone. kinda got flamed there for the question but my frame is fully plated with 1/8 3x3 angle I would be welding to that and the numbers are what my old jeep had almost. I never see a reason to have a rig that is 10" of lift and 36's when you will IMO perform better with a lower C.G. My shocks are going to run two inchs in front of the axle on the body side the shocks a r5000 for a 10 inch lift.
What is wrong with the plan.

Please needing some advise.
Will

Back