• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp Guage mystery 1999 xj

broadwaystatge

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

My temp guage is going up to the red zone and the check engine light comes on. The temp stays in the high range around 250 but not all the way to the max of 260 on the guage, for a time and then goes back to normal temperature(210) after a while and then will go up to 250 again.

It does not do this all the time, I just took it for a half hour drive and it ran in the normal temp the whole time.

The electric fan kicks on at the right time and is running when the problem occurs. I change the Relay anyway. I believe the aux fan is working properley.

I flushed the system twice.
I changed the Thermistat last year
The engine driven fan seems to be working. (its the orginal clutch)
The cooling fluided is around 50/50.

I am the orginal owner, it has 120,000 on the orginal water pump and radator.

Some one posted about a temp sender that sends the temperature to the guage.

And also a temp sensor that controls the electric fan. (This sensor seems to be working because the electric fan does kick on at aroungd 210 degrees.

I already change the electric fan relay, maybe I should change out the temp sender and sensor too.

Could this be related to the water pump going bad.

Would anyone recommend I take out the themistat just to be safe since its summer time. (I can not tell if I am really overheating or not)

Any help would be greatly appceiated.

Back