• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shift handle removal

dphillips

See,what had happened was
Stupid question. I have a 2000 xj w/auto trans and I'm trying to figure out how to remove the handle on the shifter so I can remove the center console. Am I stupid? I don't see any set screws or pins or anything like that.

Anyone know how to take these damn things off??

OK. So I should wear some protective equipment.
That's my luck. I figured it was something simple like that.
THANKS!

You may not want to try it in park, I missed my face and punched the stereo...

it works best from behind while its in 1/2 or 3rd, even better with the seats out. Mine wasn't so bad, but the guy at the parts yard dented the roof of a 99' trying to recover the plastic gear indicator piece. Also, search for more info if you feel that you need it, this was being discussed not too long ago.

Wear gloves and a face protector. When I removed mine, I ripped the skin off my knuckles when my hand hit the edge of the fascia panel. Fortunately I just missed punching myself in the jaw and knocking myself out...

br1anstorm

I'm trying to do the same thing on my '89. Does it just pull off of the pre-1997 as well? If so, does it just push back on or is there something else required to reattach it?

From http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoShifterHandles.htm

Handles%20002.jpg

There's no difference between the '89 and others.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Wow! Ten posts to explain how to do one of the simplest things on a jeep. Impressive.

Make it eleven! Now, replace it with a ZJ handle. My '92 and '96 both have them They remove the same way- after first taking the safety precautions! You'll need to cut about 3/8 inch from where the shaft slips in, and then cover it good,with a rag, and whack it on with a hammer. I like them better, my son thinks they're stupid. What do kids know anyway?

heyhar said:
Make it eleven! Now, replace it with a ZJ handle. My '92 and '96 both have them They remove the same way- after first taking the safety precautions! You'll need to cut about 3/8 inch from where the shaft slips in, and then cover it good,with a rag, and whack it on with a hammer. I like them better, my son thinks they're stupid. What do kids know anyway?
That's what the link I posted discusses. I've had a ZJ handle on mine for several years, but what's this about cutting anything? Mine slipped on with no cutting involved.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
I've had a ZJ handle on mine for several years,

Interesting, we got the wife a ZJ and do like the feel of the handle much more. Might have to grab one next time I am at the u pull it.

I guess I have all of you beat, 5-6yrs. ago my younger brother
was over at my house helping me work on my jeep.I had already
experienced the ( pulling off the shifter scenerio ),so when he said,Hey
bro how do I take this shifter knob off I said wait I'll do it because it
is a little tricky. Well,he did not wait on me instead I hear this loud
thud along with the sound of cracked glass.

I turned and looked to see his elbow partly in my windshield,damn!

Back