• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end popping in reverse

redneck

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I have a 95 country, 140,000 miles, 4wd 231, auto with the D30 in front. Over the past 2 months I have acquired a popping sound in the front axle on the passenger side every time I put it in reverse and move backwards. It will pop maybe 2 times once its going forwards but then its fine. Its like a pop fallowed by a grind and a few pops after that. I would like to see if anyone knows what it is from experience before I throw parts at the problem. There is no play in the tire then I wiggle it at neither the 12 & 6 positions nor the 9 & 3 positions. When I took the wheel off there is no play between the hub assembly and the axle shaft. There is about 1/4 in of play between the axle shaft and the drive shaft. When I put it in 4wd there is about 3/4 of an inch of play between the hub assembly and the transfer case. I have found that a sound like this could be the hub assembly (which seems fine), the u-joint, or the ball joints. Anyone have an idea? The axle end (the knuckle?) on the passenger side has old grease caked on it and the drivers side dose not. I found that strange. The plastic piece one the axle shaft that covers the axle tube is also loose and behind it looks dirty. Is that bad? Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Sounds kinda like what I just fixed on mine, however it was my tranny (ax15) that was popping/grinding/jumping. I just finished flushing and changing the fluid and it's fine.

You have somthing loose. Torque your entire suspension to spec. Control arms, track bar and frame mount ect, ect. look for cracked or bulging bushings, could be the culprit.

Is it popping while turning? If it is then check you axle ujoints.

It pops as soon as you put it in reverse and the drive line torques down and then when you roll back wards it goes, "pop... pop... pop... grrrrriiinnnddding pop" and then one last pop when you stop in reverse. When you put it in drive it pops once and then when you stop one time, after that it’s perfectly fine again until you go backwards. Sounds like the passenger side for sure. I have replaced and retightened all the control arms and end links on the sway bar as well. My shocks are tight as well.

how is your axle built? Locker? Have you looked in the punkin in a while?
How does your hub look?

One of the only things I have not done fluid wise on the Cherokee is the differential and transfer case fluids so no, I have not looked inside the pumpkin. Ill have time tomorrow to look in there. What will I be looking for and then what gear oil should I use to replace it with? The hub looks fine and I feel no play in it and no grinding. All I can feel threw the hub while spinning are the gears in the diff. It is completely stock for now. In 2 weeks on payday I am going to be getting the RE 3.5 Super-Ride with the DT3000 shock kit as well as a RE1600 traction bar. That is why I wanted to find out what the popping was now before I put more stress on the axle components. I can’t see anything that’s visibly wrong and nothing moves when I yank on it.

You ever make sure its in 2wd?? I know it sounds stupid but may still be locked in. There was a cat up here whos just came back from Iraq and drove his rig, wife then said "oh yea its makin funny noise" he put it in 4wd then back to 2wd went away. It was still locked in 4wd. Try it, atleast its free and only cost ya a couple of mins.

I can spin the tire when its in 2wd and when I put it into 4wd I cant. Its in 2wd. It also dose it in both 4wd and 2wd. Same pop same location.

Check and make sure the brake pads arent moving around in the caliper brackets and slides. Most high end pads come with shims and the pads should be shimmed on the top slide to allow .010" clearance(there will be a large assortment of shims in the kit). Bottom slides are left un-shimmed. These shims just clip onto the part of the brake pad that comes into contact with the caliper bracket slides.

I replaced the brake pads shortly after I got it in January with 138xxx miles on it and since then they have squealed and I’m at 141xxx miles now. They did not come with any shims. How do I tell if they are moving? It makes sense if they are. I assume I can get shims at Autozone or Checker. Here are the pads that are on it now;
http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,85028/initialAction,partProductDetail/initialpartType,01233/initialR,APP1216016/initialvehicleId,1996202/shopping/selectZip.htm
Thanks,
Aaron

Back