• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clacking noise at 200-210 degrees operating temp?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
My 92 xj with 180,000 miles is making a clacking noise at idle(at least I can't hear it when I am driving down the road). The noise doesn't start until the engine temp gets between 200-210 degrees. It is more of a metal on metal sound than a ticking like lifters sound. It does sound like it is coming from the upper end of the engine,head area maybe. It only does it for maybe 10-15 seconds at a time,then it will stop for a few seconds and start again. Oil pressure is between 20-30 psi when this happens. I have owned the jeep for the last 20,000 miles and it has doen it since i have had it. I have tried different weights of oil,no change in the noise. if it were a collapsed lifter,wouldn't it make the noise all the time? thanks for the help,Ben

My jeep does it very faintly at a hot idle. It has 80k on it. Not sure what it is, but it hasn't effected anything.

Check your fan clutch, spin it more than a couple of times, try spinning it 100 revolutions or more.

My fan clutch seemed fine, doing the quick spin the fan with the motor off, but I had the loud tick at idle once warmed up also. I thought it was a lifter, then I changed all the lifters and it was still there. My noise sounded like a very loud lifter tick, like a single lifter was making 5 times the volume level of typical lifter tick and it came from the front of the engine as well. Describing it as clacking is pretty accurate.

Last night I changed the water pump/fan clutch and serpentine belt, no more noise, but granted I've only ran it once to get up to operating temp to functionally check everything, so perhaps the noise will come back when I run the engine more, but at the moment it seems solved.

My old fan clutch, once it was off, I played around with it a bit, in the same orientation that it was mounted in the vehicle, it offered the typical resistance for the first dozen spins, but then quickly degraded to zero resistance with significant bearing noise with no load on it what-so-ever. So my fan clutch was definitely out of there, but was fooling me because it acted properly for a few seconds after rest.

Back