• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over Head Console; Compass

XTurboJ

NAXJA Forum User
When i bought the Jeep from a guy, the compass didnt work, and he told me that it had never worked for him, that it had pooped out on his aunt, who was the original owner of the Jeep. I took it up some really bumpy hills and on the way back down the compass started flashing on and off, and giving me temp readings. Now, if i press one of the buttons just after i turn on the ignition, it comes on, but its turns on and off at random. I took it down and checked all the wiring and the circuitry, and it all looks ok. So, my question is if there is any way to get this to be on and accurate consistently? It give me the CAL sign and then i can set the Variance, but after that, i get nothing. Its supposed to turn off for 5 seconds, after i set the Variance, which it does, but then it just doesnt come back on, and i know that the power is getting to it consistently because my over head lamps come on when i hit the buttons.

I'd double check all the connections again but it might but something internal on the pc board. What year is it? Older XJ consoles are really cheap in poor condition but if all you need is the display it won't matter, just swap the good display into your console.

Its a 90. And i am not sure its the display, becuase that looks to be working fine. Is there a way to shock it back into the Factory settings? or does just unplugging it and plugging it back in work?

not sure if this will help you but i have a 92 and it never worked so i held down the two buttons to put in my location theres a map in the manual with numbers for different areas i selected my number drove around it didnt work so then i held down the buttons again until the little calibrate sign came up i selected my coordinates again and this time the compass stayed up with the little cal sign and at first it was giving crazy directions but after driving around for a while (driving in circles works too) the cal sign went away and my compass was working :) hopefully that helps

Back