• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Exploded View

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Can anybody with an FSM for an '87 xj or an exploded view of an XJ Dana 44 rear please post a pic for me? I've been searching and googling for a while and have found exploded views of other D44's but not everything matches up to my XJ 44. I've got 3 or 4 FSM's on CD also, but they're for later years and don't include the D44. TIA.

What are ya looking for? I read a lot of "this and that don't have what I need" but what exactly are you wanting?

I WANT AN EXPLODED VIEW OF AN XJ DANA 44.

rolleye.gif

I have a few pics of mine when I EXPLODED the ring gear, and then the Detroit, and again when the rear pinion broke.
Is that the kind of exploded you're looking for? :wave1:

RCP Phx said:

My confusion is from the fact that I have two big washers that look like #8, but there was nothing underneath the shims that looked like #5. And I don't recognize 10A as anything that came off mine either. And for clarification, yes, I'm trying to figure out where the two big washers go as I install the pinion gear.

Those large washers are oil slingers

A front D44 will have a large slinger like in the picture below, between the bearing and the back side of the pinion gear (the pictured pinion gear is for a rear D44), the stepped slinger goes between the inner pinion bearing race, and the housing.

A rear D44 will have neither of those slingers in place, it will only have the slinger that goes between the outer bearing and the pinion bearing (#8 in the exploded view)

Dsc03138.jpg

Back