• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newb (I guess) suspesion and lift questions

bobmarly123

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I felt like I knew a good deal about my jeep, but every time I come on here theres something new. Now I not so sure so I guess I have to call my self a newb.

Anyway, being a newb I have questions about lift. I have no money and the things I see people post on her like “so and so kit is a lot more expensive but worth it” does appeal to me. I can’t, right now, afford a lift kit and with everything I have been reading don’t thin k I can do it myself and for damn sure can’t pay someone to do it. My jeep is alo my daily driver so the time it takes to put mods on is a factor.

I want to get the Rough country leaf springs and maybe front coils, because my springs are all stock. 89 renix, np231, d35 rear, ax 15 5 speed manual. So I read in a post that I could just put these on and it won’t hurt anything, for example I would not have to get a SYE. Now there’s not much I know about the suspension as I mentioned above, so this is just something I read. I want to here from others about the rough contry leafs and coils. Will I be able to just unbolt the leafs and pop these on, and then do what I need to do for the front coils? Will there be vibrations? I have read things like “having to drop the t-case” and “had to put on a SYE.” I don’t want to have to do any of these things, because I can’t afford them and some things look beyond my skill. I don’t need bigger tires or anything and I don’t plan on wheelin hard core or anything like that. I just want some stiffer leafs and the rough country looks good and easy to me. What does everyone think?

I have searched for suspension questions and came up with some info but most of it I don’t understand. Thanks ahead of time for any and all the help I get.

just some advice from personal experience. I too was at a point where i could not afford to lift my jeep, but wanted to, and bought the rough country kit! Less than 6 months later i had so many problems with driving and handling and extra things i needed to purchase i could have purchased a better kit for less money, and wanted to get rid of my jeep in the process. As your daily driver, why do you need to lift it? Many stock height jeeps can go places that you wouldnt imagine. Even with my now RE 3.5 kit, 31's and lockers a stock jeep went everywhere i went at Winterfest!

This seems like a really open-ended question. The bolts are typically rusted on the rear leaves. Do you own a repair manual? tools?

Research and reading are your friends......and this belongs in the modified section.

search "f-150 coils" and "bastard pack" and read, read, read. Then learn to work on you Jeep

bobmarly123 said:
So I felt like I knew a good deal about my jeep, but every time I come on here theres something new. Now I not so sure so I guess I have to call my self a newb.

Anyway, being a newb I have questions about lift. I have no money and the things I see people post on her like “so and so kit is a lot more expensive but worth it” does appeal to me. I can’t, right now, afford a lift kit and with everything I have been reading don’t thin k I can do it myself and for damn sure can’t pay someone to do it. My jeep is alo my daily driver so the time it takes to put mods on is a factor.

I want to get the Rough country leaf springs and maybe front coils, because my springs are all stock. 89 renix, np231, d35 rear, ax 15 5 speed manual. So I read in a post that I could just put these on and it won’t hurt anything, for example I would not have to get a SYE. Now there’s not much I know about the suspension as I mentioned above, so this is just something I read. I want to here from others about the rough contry leafs and coils. Will I be able to just unbolt the leafs and pop these on, and then do what I need to do for the front coils? Will there be vibrations? I have read things like “having to drop the t-case” and “had to put on a SYE.” I don’t want to have to do any of these things, because I can’t afford them and some things look beyond my skill. I don’t need bigger tires or anything and I don’t plan on wheelin hard core or anything like that. I just want some stiffer leafs and the rough country looks good and easy to me. What does everyone think?

I have searched for suspension questions and came up with some info but most of it I don’t understand. Thanks ahead of time for any and all the help I get.

These funky rear shocks will lift the back of your car between a 1/2 and 1 inch. Just a thought, as they are fairly cheap and totally harmless to your driveline. I put them on mine and my rear leafs were sagging, now the car's like a half inch over stock height.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ProductDetail.do?id=460875341&client_ip=75.64.193.3&manualActivantIndex=2&vehicle=1999%20JEEP%20CHEROKEE%20(XJ)%20-%20L6-4.0L%20FI

Back