• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny update

artsifrtsi

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got around to looking at the tranny (ax-15) in the XJ. It was popping and difficult to shift when driving, and would grind in neutral. I pulled the top off of the tranny and looked in, fluid was black, and had a little bit of milkiness to it. Fluid level was at about the center of the input shaft, and circulated nicely when the motor was running.

I added about 3 quarts, up to the bottom of the shifter assy, of motor oil (forgot to pick up ATF) and am driving it for about 15 or so miles. Put on about 3 miles yesterday, and the grinding in neutral, and the popping are just about, if not completely gone. When I chenge out the flid later, I'm gonna put in the correct fluid at about 2/3 tranny fluid, and 1/3 lucas manual tranny fluid, and drive with that concoction for a tank or 2 of gas. If that cures it, then I'll change fluids again and use either redline or royal purplein it from then on.

It doesn't take ATF or motor oil as they have the wrong friction coefficients, although the viscosity isn't all that far off. I highly recommend using a synthetic gear oil like Redline MTL as it will do wonders for the 1-2 shift, especially when cold. Regular GL5 gear oil tends to attack the brass synchros. Filling to the top of the shifter is wayyy overfilled. There is a fill hole on the side.

Yes, per the statement above that I will change out with the correct fluid. I'm running lighter weight fluid to try and flush out the tranny, and see if it starts to work as it should.

I will put the tranny fluid in tonight, and see how she behaves tomorrow.

Back