• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

msd

jeepster96 said:
has anyone mounted a msd 6a ignition box in there xj? im wanting ideas where to mount and if it made a diff? also need to know how to hook it up?
Don't have one in my XJ but a buddies son has one in his CJ and said it was a cinch to install. I asked what he did and he said follow the instructions that came with the unit. His is in the glove box inside the cabin area.

I have a MSD 6 Offroad in mine. so basically the same electronics in a black box with fancy connectors. What year is your's? If it's H.O. it's a very simple to hook up if it's a Renix it's a mess. You have to (ok you don't HAVE to, but it makes it easier) buy a kit that enables you to hook it up to the coil pack.

I have the H.O. so i can help you with wiring. Mounting these your own your own. there's a ton of spots to mount them, i could show you mine but's it a bad example, My Fuse block under the hood melted so i relocated a new fuse box and mounted it there.

I can help you with a lot of it if it's H.O. so let's start there

Dingo

Personally, I don't think you are going to notice a big differnce other than a lighter wallet. The HO ignition is actually pretty good from the factory. I bought into the aftermarket ignition thing several years ago. Couldn't tell any differnce, until it crapped out 3 years later. I have been back to stock with no problems other than my coil shorted not too long ago. Replaced it with a stcok replacement & I am good to go.

Rob $.02

If you have done a lot of mods, it will help. I noticed a difference on my stroker motor. The idle and general running smoothed out especially under 3k rpm. Gas mileage also picked up by almost 2 mpg. If you have a lot of other engine mods and have the cash, its not a bad purchase.

AARON

hey thanks for the info. i already have the box so its not putting a dent in my wallet. i havea 96 with a HO in it and i know most of the engine ssensors and parts are off a 97 and newer cause mine was made in late 96. i lost the booklet that came with it so im not sure on the wireing. WHERE ABOUTS DID U GAP THE PLUGS OUT TO?

I cant remember off the top of my head but I think I have mine gapped at .050 or .055" right now. Seems to run just fine, plan on tuning it here in a few weeks and then hopefully I will have the cash to go dyno it and see what the new stroker motor puts down :D

AARON

.05 for the gap and MSD has great tech sevice phone help if you need info. You can go a lot wider on the gap but go conservative on a engine that will be running for hours . Make sure you use fat plug wires and brass terminal cap and roter. Solder any wires you cut and use shrink wrap lots of tape and silicone to prevent arcing. They make a nice high top coil to reduce arcing if you don't allready have a compatable coil. You have not been lit up till you get lit up by a leaking MSD ignition. Some of the older 6 boxes make noise as they age but you can drill the rivits and tighten the components and silicone the rest to shut them up.

Back