• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearbox stresses with larger tires?

xj4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guy,
I've been running a fairly new OE gearbox with 35's for about 8 months without issues. Tonight I noticed a slight clunk when the steering is just starting to be stressed in a turn.

I got under the rig while a friend cycled the steering wheel back and forth. I noticed the sector shaft flexing a bit and the clunk coming from inside the gearbox.

The steering is tight, so I don't believe preload adjustment, etc is the issue.

This leads me to two general questions;

1) Is a small amount of sector shaft flex normal? My concern is something internally is wearing and/or failing. Even though at the moment there is no external signs of box wear.

2) To my knowledge upgrading to a heavy duty box and pump simply yields higher box fluid pressure. Does this actually take stress off the box?

Thanks for your ideas/suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions. I am considering both a durango and/or hydroassist. But with only 35's, I wouldn't think I'd need this?

The wheeling on this box has been very lite. The only stress beyond DD recently was water fording. I drove through about 2.5 feet of water helping folks with recent flooding in the northeast. I must admit I had a bit of a heavy foot on a few occasions when hitting flooded spots. I'm wondering if I may have damaged the box due to the stresses of the initial water hits?

I am considering the PSC trail/street kit. I was told it made handling insanely better on and off the road (i.e. set the steering wheel and no matter what you hit, the ram absorbs the impact and won't let the wheels turn without input from the driver). I don't know how true this is, but if it's accurate, I want it yesterday... ;) LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

vegas_baja said:
You might want to think about either a durango box, or another oe box with hydro-assist.

durango box...http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71626&highlight=hydro

hydro-assist...http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55711&highlight=hydro

I spoke to PSC today (nice folks) :). Initially they suggested the 621M (extreme duty box). When I mentioned it was for an XJ, it change to hydrosteer. I may go hydrosteer down the road, if it really looks like I need it.

For the moment, I went with the Durango - 99 4WD, 5.9. Between the larger piston and reduced steering ranger (lock-to-lock) I felt that was a better choice for the moment.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Back