• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping Steering Gearbox attached

535a74870556331bed0dcdf9a19e2352.jpg

are not those the sleeves we are talking about?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

are those sleeves? they looked like bolts when i looked.

I thought they were new sleeves and the larger "head" is meant to stick out from the rail on the inside to act as the new box spacer thus eliminating the aluminum one.

i like the idea... but with the tight quarters trying to stick a mig gun in there and helmet, i would worry about the heat pulling those sleeves out of alignment. bolting on a good spacer to keep everything true would be a good idea.

e0664734727e9ddcaaf7352bf063fb56.jpg
efd5ff76e9a90b52d9d07edbcc6da359.jpg

No cracks around the sleeves. They *look* good to me. Ran a straight edge across them and they seemed to line up. New box going in shortly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Could the bolts be in a slight bind when you tighten them? Meaning there is a little bending on the ears of the box, which fatigue the ears causing the bolts to loosen and lead to the ear breaking? I know on my set up, if I dont tighten the bolts in a certain order, the box does not sit flush with the inner spacer.

Got another Box installed, wow what a difference! Tight steering again! Maybe the old box was just fatigued from years of beating on it?

Well, after some more investigation I found a pretty significant Crack behind the track bar. That was letting the front frame flex a bit. Since I had the steering gearbox reinforcement all of the force was going into the gearbox. Ditched that reinforcement and Did a little reinforcing today... hopefully that fixes my issue.
ba4e970f4c1a6a9185f1fdc09950ace4.jpg
f2b0e45a5cbc4a2158ec32b9fba4511a.jpg

Back