• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ghost in 01 xj ? help

KYXJTJFREAKS

NAXJA Forum User
I work with a lady that has an 01 stock xj and came to me for help . I have no Idea how to attempt this one. She has an appointment for the second time and second dealership . She is into "tread lightly" and I'd like to help her. Here is her quote:
Here is the best description I can give regarding the recent incidents
with my Cherokee... I brag about you guys all the time , does anyone have any idea's ? THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Basic Info: 2001 Cherokee Sport, just over 154,000 miles (had cracked
head replaced @~75000miles)

Recent Issues:
Occasionally will not start. When this happens, it either starts to turn
over and then stops, or does not even try to turn over and no lights
display on dash. Repeated attempts to start result in nothing...no
"click" or anything. During the non-start incidents, interior overhead
light will come on when door is opened and headlights also will come on
when switch pulled out. Also during the non-start incidents, the remote
on my key chain for the door locks does not work...when I push the lock
or un-lock button on the remote I hear a click from the Jeep, but the
locks are not moving and the beep is not sounding for the lock function.
Each time a non-start incident occurs, I have tried taking the key out
of the ignition and putting it back in, clicking the remote for the door
locks and looked under the hood(at what I really have no idea!), and
after a few minutes it starts up again and there seems to be nothing
wrong. I am not getting any check engine lights or anything. One strange
thing I have noticed each of these times is that my odometer displays
the total mileage after the incident, which is strange as I always keep
the odometer on the trip display to track my per tank mileage. When I
switch it back to the trip reading, it still has the correct mileage for
the current tank/trip, but it is strange to me that it is changing the
display but not losing the memory. It is not losing any clock memory
during these incidents.
I did notice a lot of corrosion build up on the battery connections last
night when this latest non-start happened and I had the hood opened...I
knocked some of it off with a screwdriver. Don't know if this had
anything to do with anything, but it did start shortly thereafter.
Today, after idling in park for about 10minutes (waiting for a speeding
ticket to be issued:( ), when I started going again on the highway, the
check guages light came on and the battery level indicator was reading
"19" which is the highest number on the display...it normally sits in
the middle at "14". It stayed at 19 for about 8 more miles of highway
driving and then came back to 14 when I slowed down on the exit ramp for
the stop light. The check guages light went off when the battery reading
returned to normal. I proceeded to King's Jeep and they checked the
battery and it gave normal readings. They also tried starting her about
15 times and each time she started right up and no warning lights came
on. They were perplexed by my description of the recent issues as
decribed above and made an appointment for me drop her off on Monday for
a good inspection of the ignition, starter, etc.
The only other thing I can think of is that a few times recently she has
been running a little rough after start-up. Kind of like a choke, and I
have to play with a little extra gas through the excellerator to keep
her from stalling. This seems to have resolved since my last service
visit at Zimmer Jeep in Florence a few weeks ago.
In recent service visits, I have had an oil change, brakes cleaned and
adjusted, computer update(for fuel system I believe) and some other fuel
line or system work which I would need to get out my service reports to
detail as I do not recall the details at this time. All of the recent
work was at Zimmer Jeep in Florence.
I think that covers it. I know we are dealing with a fairly high-mileage
vehicle, but I have faith in her and feel that with the proper diagnosis
and treatment that there are many miles left to enjoy!

Sounds like loose wiring or a short maybe. My Jeep will die and just crank over and over. If I open the hood and wiggle the wiring it starts up.

Dealer servicing or not the simple fix here, if there is one, sounds like the battery cable, ground or connection is screwed up. I haven't read where anyone actually took off the cables and really cleaned them or even replaced them. Also, the engine to body ground strap could be an issue. My ground strap was loose AND all crusty and it was causing all kinds of wierd symptoms.

1. If the battery tests out OK, remove the cables, CLEAN the terminals and the cable connector (as in it may take a bit more than knocking off some corrosion with a screwdriver). You may even want to put some dilectric grease on there and/or a little tube of that battery stuff they sell at the counter at AutoZone for $1.99 or similar. If you don't replace the cables make sure they are in good shape, corrosion free and that there are good contact points all around (clean and tight) and put the cables back on and once again, clean and tight. It'll cost you more just to drive on to the dealer's lot than it will to replace the cables and ground strap (which is probably all they'll do for $2-300)

2. Check the ground strap from the back of the engine to the body (on the firewall) and make sure it's clean and in good shape and tight and that the ground mounting area isn't bunged up with paint/grease/corrosion.

After you've eliminated these problems, then take it to the shop.

And, my usual disclaimer, I am not a professional, in fact I'm pretty lame when it comes to electronics, but this is simple, basic trouble shooting. You don't need a meter for this.

Oh yeah, she needs to slow down too!!

ParadiseXJ said:
Dealer servicing or not the simple fix here, if there is one, sounds like the battery cable, ground or connection is screwed up. I haven't read where anyone actually took off the cables and really cleaned them or even replaced them. Also, the engine to body ground strap could be an issue. My ground strap was loose AND all crusty and it was causing all kinds of wierd symptoms.

1. If the battery tests out OK, remove the cables, CLEAN the terminals and the cable connector (as in it may take a bit more than knocking off some corrosion with a screwdriver). You may even want to put some dilectric grease on there and/or a little tube of that battery stuff they sell at the counter at AutoZone for $1.99 or similar. If you don't replace the cables make sure they are in good shape, corrosion free and that there are good contact points all around (clean and tight) and put the cables back on and once again, clean and tight. It'll cost you more just to drive on to the dealer's lot than it will to replace the cables and ground strap (which is probably all they'll do for $2-300)

2. Check the ground strap from the back of the engine to the body (on the firewall) and make sure it's clean and in good shape and tight and that the ground mounting area isn't bunged up with paint/grease/corrosion.

After you've eliminated these problems, then take it to the shop.

And, my usual disclaimer, I am not a professional, in fact I'm pretty lame when it comes to electronics, but this is simple, basic trouble shooting. You don't need a meter for this.

Oh yeah, she needs to slow down too!!
Thats pretty much what I would say to do also. Dirty battery terminals will do crazy thing with the electronics of a newer vehicle.

Call an old priest, and a young priest.

If James Woods is the one they send, call again.

If the Jeep tells her in a low, creepy voice to 'Get out', I advise she do it.

:D

Sorry, had to.

:)

I'll third the GOOD cleaning of battery terminals and battery posts. You'd be surprised the crazy things that dirty terminals and posts can do to the electrical system.

Thank You so much Guy's.. I knew you all would come thru!!! I've relayed this information on to her and i'll let you know the outcome. If the good cleaning/replacing doesn't work i'll have her call the priest.... If ever down in KY would love to meet ya'll.

I would check terminals and cables. If the terminals are badly corroded as you had said, the cables might be toast also. Check the ground strap as was stated also. My Jeep had trouble starting, I replaced the cables then presto. I'm not saying this is the problem, but hopefully it's an easy fix for her. If you pull the ground on a newer vehicle (80s on up) it will die. She might be losing connection with bad wires/terminals. Good luck

Back