• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

made my front doors removable....*pics*

N20Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
ok....so i got bored and made my doors removable....i have still yet to remove my rear doors....probably going to do that next week...

but i did rhinoline the inner doors halfway....i dont really like the way it looks so im going to rhino line the whole inner door probably tommorow...

anyways...*pics*
17.jpg

16.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

13-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

11-2.jpg

10-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

8-2.jpg

I've read on other posts that once you take off the doors and wheel a couple of trails that if you put the doors back on they won't fit correctly. I suppose because of the unibody and body flexing so much. Is this true?? I have often thought of taking my doors off, but where I live it gets cold in the winter time and I would want to put them back on eventually (for the wife and kid). Does anybody have experience with this?

Otherwise, it looks pretty sweet. That is one of the only things I miss about my wrangler.

The Rhino actually looks like Herculiner or something from Duplicolor.
Where did you get the sideview mirror from, looks different.
The Jeep looks great!

azranger said:
I've read on other posts that once you take off the doors and wheel a couple of trails that if you put the doors back on they won't fit correctly. I suppose because of the unibody and body flexing so much. Is this true?.

No.

The doors provide no structure.

Rev

MrMrsXJ said:
The Rhino actually looks like Herculiner or something from Duplicolor.
Where did you get the sideview mirror from, looks different.
The Jeep looks great!

thanks...mirror is from autozone, and is attached to a magnet so i dont have to drill any holes...ive still got to get one for the passenger side....but it works and wont fall off...

yea...its not rhinoliner....i just call it that out of habit...

Doors = Structure HMMMM, I dont see how thay can. However, I would think that in case of a rollover that they MIGHT help with the crunching of the top but probably not by alot.
I am also going to be removing my doors and placing a custom cage inside the doorjam area that will tie into an interior/exterior cage that will also tie into the rockers and front and rear bumper. I will then make Snap doors to keep the weather out in the cold months and rainy days. (AKA monsoons)
The material I plan to use will be a marine grade Vinyl.

BTW, the doorless look is AWSOME for our xj's IMHO.......

Great Pics.

Later

Rev Den said:
Where did you get the magnet?

That is really a nice idea, could save a bunch of folkes some trouble.

Rev

its actually a Mac tools magnet from an old hammer holder for the side of my tool box....but im sure you can get something similar from craftsman, or some hobby shop

No.

The doors provide no structure.

Rev[/quote]

None? how is it, then, that the rarely (if ever) used rear door hinges on both of mine were torn from the pillar and needed welding? I'm not tryin' to be a "knowitall noob" but I was under the impression that the doors added triangulation (all-be-it slight) to the flimsy stamped steel unit body construction.

I've got a set of spare doors I was planning to cut down, but maybe I'll just
cruise without 'em for a while!

Shorty said:
None? how is it, then, that the rarely (if ever) used rear door hinges on both of mine were torn from the pillar and needed welding? I'm not tryin' to be a "knowitall noob" but I was under the impression that the doors added triangulation (all-be-it slight) to the flimsy stamped steel unit body construction.

They don't really add structure, if you feel the gap between the door and body while flexing, you can feel the body twisting around the doors.

Door hinges generally need to be fixed because to body twists with the door ON. There is obviously force against the hinges with the door there, but they are not strong enough to add "triangulation", therefore they can eventually break. If they were meant to add structure, I would think they would have used a bolt instead of a little pin to hold them on.

This can happen to any car, especially a unibody. For example, I had a 5.0 Mustang that needed hinge adjustment due to body twist form just the engine. As exciting as it may have been, I never took the doors off...lol

Over time, just the weight of the door can cause it, especially if you lean on it while open.

I do agree they may help in case of a rollover though.

The main reason many who take their doors of their XJs have problems is because they didn't re-adjust the door hinge. Because your changing the hinge from a double shear to single, the door sits a little different than it was. Not much, but enough to cause some closing issues.

I wheel mine with the front doors off (when it's nice out), through some ruff twisty stuff, and have not had any problems putting them back on.

Yeah I know...poser pic (I'm not in the Jeep), this was just my parking job at one of our local club events.
DSCF1085.jpg

N20Jeep said:
thanks...mirror is from autozone, and is attached to a magnet so i dont have to drill any holes...ive still got to get one for the passenger side....but it works and wont fall off...

sweet...next time i see you around ill grab me a free mirror!:laugh:

Yoda said:
sweet...next time i see you around ill grab me a free mirror!:laugh:

:0

where in jax are you?

Last edited:
Back