• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd shifter stuck

TheDiabetic

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I managed the once thought impossible and got my 4wd shifter stuck in the 4 wheel high position. Now I know this doesn't seem so impossible but here's the weird part, the Jeep is actually in 2 wh. It rides as if 4wd was not even on. Now when I got it stuck I was going off a 2 foot drop and bottomed out. So not thinking I quickly yanked in into 4wh and drove on. After I got away from the drop off I slowed down put in in neutral and tried to shift in out of 4wd with no luck. It's almost like I just yanked the shifter out of place. Is this possible? Attached is a crude picture of my shifter's current position.

hhh.jpg

Crawl under it and see if the shift linkage is still working. I don't know how you would "yank the shifter out of place"...if it's moving as if its "free", it's likely a linkage issue...and you may never have been in 4wd in the first place.

If someone was not careful while replacing the linkage after a clutch job or transfer case service, the linkage shafts may have poped out of their plastic bushings.

Crawl underneath and look at the shifter linkage below the shifter handle. It might just need re-adjusted or possibly you managed to bend the rod.

you prolly did what I did and popped the linkage out of the body-mounted eyelet. I thought I snapped the thing, TWICE. Second time after I put in a 3/4" tcase drop it popped out even easier. It's a two-piece bracket and I shimmed the two pieces apart from eachother with some nuts we found while 4x4'ing (trail fix, YES!)

Back