• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter alignment

Steev

NAXJA Forum User
I have been successful in getting the transmission in correctly. Now I can get one bolt through the flexplate into the torque converter, but only one. The next one is slightly clockwise of where it needs to be.

I left the one bolt loose so I could rock the flexplate back and forth to get it to line up and it got me closer but not close enough.

I tried removing the bolt and trying a new hole to start and ended up with the same results.

Do I continue trying different rotations as the flexplate and converter holes are matched in one position?

The is the flexplate and converter that were bolted together before the engine swap so I know they were together before.

Thanks in advance

I'm sure that the flexplate is indexed by a variation in the bolt circle on the crankshaft flange.

However, I'm also fairly sure that the torque converter is not indexed to the flexplate, since the engine is neutrally balanced.

However, that doesn't stop me from marking the first hole I come across (the first screw I remove) with a quick shot of spray paint or a wax marker whenever I separate the two anyhow. But, since the AMC242 is internally balanced, I'm fairly sure that it shouldn't be a problem (check anyhow - there are four possible orientations, since there are four screws. You may want to remove the spark plugs to make the engine/flexplate easier to turn tho...

It's no problem to turn with a breaker bar.

I should have marked it's orientation but didn't so I will just spin and check until I get it right tommorrow.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I just got my 94 in easier with the torque convertor bolted to the flywheel. It sounds strange but it went right in. I know the flywheel is oriented but i think the torque convertor is equal distance on the bolts.

Do you have the motor mounts installed yet?? You need to do them last so you have that extra room for play to twist the motor if needed.

TC and flywheel should bolt up in any of the four positions-- equally spaced.
I would double check that the TC is FULLY seated in the trans front pump- if it is only part-way into the pump, it can tilt slightly when you turn the flywheel and seem as though the holes nolonger line up.
--Shorty

Shorty said:
I would double check that the TC is FULLY seated in the trans front pump- if it is only part-way into the pump, it can tilt slightly when you turn the flywheel and seem as though the holes nolonger line up.
--Shorty

x2, and if its not seated all the way in the pump you have a chance of breaking the pump when you bolt everything down. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Shorty said:
TC and flywheel should bolt up in any of the four positions-- equally spaced.
--Shorty

X3 I've had this happen to me. You need to turn that TC as you install it on the transmision to make sure it goes in 3 steps. When everything is right it all just falls together.

Back