• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple of shots...nothing too special

dcXJ

NAXJA Forum User
....our wheeling trip to Shoe Creek in Lovingston VA today....we were doing sort of a combo wheeling trip and a clean up run as campers seem to always leave trash and other things in the camp sites...we came away with about 5 or 6 bags of trash and leftover camping supplies.
...here are the only shots I could get of the Jeep today...I was the trail leader for today's trip, and as some of you know, that means very little as far as pictures for the trail leader:tears:

The Black Xterra in the background of the first picture is my old rig..the guy I sold it to came with us today as well as some other Nissans, some Toyotas...and only one other XJ...we were outnumbered ;)

XJ059.jpg

XJ058.jpg

It was cold and windy, and it was snowing...if you can believe that...when we left Richmond this morning at 9am, there was about an inch of snow on the ground....very odd.

-Dave.

Last edited:
looks good but what are the cable for that run from the roof rack to the front bumper? sorry if it sounds dumb but I'm relatively new to the jeep world

WVUwheeler said:
looks good but what are the cable for that run from the roof rack to the front bumper? sorry if it sounds dumb but I'm relatively new to the jeep world

They protect the windshield from limbs. and the paint in some cases.

Its to push any tree limbs that might get in the way and hit the windshield up and over the Jeep.

Nice looking XJ you got there DC. I like both that and your old xterra.

Edit: damn one second too late.

Thanks guys...yup...they were right on the "limb risers"...it also helps push limbs up over the Yak rack...I actually had a couple of instances where some limbs ripped the rack off the old Xterra....they seem to help...and hell...they look cool too...so that's a plus ;)

How does your yakima crossbars mount to the Jeep dcXJ? It looks like it mounts to the two rails that the factory crossbars mounted to. Ive dont think Ive seen that before. I use the gutter mounts on mine.

xjmania said:
How does your yakima crossbars mount to the Jeep dcXJ? It looks like it mounts to the two rails that the factory crossbars mounted to. Ive dont think Ive seen that before. I use the gutter mounts on mine.

Those mount with the Yakima Control Towers and Landing Pad #2. They fit into the stock rack tracks, you're correct. I actually prefer the look of the 1A Raingutter mounts, and those are next on my list of things to get. The raingutter distributes weight better and with a tire being up there sometimes, it would help to get it off those weak tracks before it distorts the roof or tears out any of the roof track torx bolts.

CHUGLYxj said:
I was with a group at Rausch Creek today and was also shocked when the snow started falling.
Yeah, it just seemed too late. A few days ago here it was in the mid 80s...over the next few days it will be in the 50s, then back up to the 70s again...I really get tired of this weird ass Virginia weather sometimes.

trust me... it aint just VA buddy...

dcXJ said:
Yeah, it just seemed too late. A few days ago here it was in the mid 80s...over the next few days it will be in the 50s, then back up to the 70s again...I really get tired of this weird ass Virginia weather sometimes.
Don't ever move to New England. 1st week of March we were in the 50s in Boston, next week it was single digits, then it was back up to 40s, and it fluctuates worse all the time. We don't have a spring, it goes winter to summer more or less.

f*ck this VA weather...im in blacksburg and its was 80 early in the week and we got like an inch of snow that actually stuck last night...went to play golf this morning and it was like 27 or something ridiculous and i froze my balls off...

Yeah, took those off about a month ago...going to Herculine the bottom under where the moldings used to be as soon as I put on the 4 rear TJ flares (should be doing that at the end of this month).

Have you ever had problems with the yakima crossbars bending? I bent both of mine just running the spare on top. I think the fact that they are from 1991 might have something to do with it.

tgoff said:
Have you ever had problems with the yakima crossbars bending? I bent both of mine just running the spare on top. I think the fact that they are from 1991 might have something to do with it.

I haven't run into that problem as of yet...I've had a few rigs with Yak. crossbars and up to a 33" tire up there and no bending. I would think that the older the bars get, the more weak they become, which is probably what you're running into..those bars can take about 150 to 200 lbs on a regular basis..... I rarely have the tire up there, so they're holding up fine. They're only about a year old...so there's still plenty of life left in them. A friend of mine who welds and fabs is going to be making me a rear bumper/tire carrier in the next few months..so the only thing that will ever go on the roof from that point on will be camping gear and tow straps.

Back