• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a aftermarket tranny cooler

Its like a -4 or so difficulty level on a scale of 1-10. Yeah, definately a -4.

Manual or auto tranny?

Yeah, really easy....just cut into the stock lines where it enters the cooler at the radiator and throw yours in. Simple install. You can do it a few different ways.....in line, before or after stock cooler, bypassing the stock cooler...... Its pretty straight forward once you get in there really.

Buy a "real" cooler,tube cooler's are not the very efficient,plate coolers are the way to go!

I added it to mine. You don't want your tranny fulid to be too cold or to never warm up. You want it right at operating temp and never over. Hard to do and hard to compromise, but I figure that putting it before the stock cooler will reduce the temps but keep them around operating temps the best. It's worked well for me so far (3 years of hard crawling it) although there are many different opinions out there.

After seeing it here and on a few other lists I pulled a plate style cooler from an Explorer at the local pick and pull for $7. Fabbed up the mount and it worked great. Make sure you flush a used cooler with mineral spirits to get any old fluid & gunk out before you install it!

Pix here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91183

53guy said:
Its like a -4 or so difficulty level on a scale of 1-10. Yeah, definately a -4.

Agreed, Jeepin' clone.

Cooler.jpg

Fish'nCarz said:
After seeing it here and on a few other lists I pulled a plate style cooler from an Explorer at the local pick and pull for $7. Fabbed up the mount and it worked great. Make sure you flush a used cooler with mineral spirits to get any old fluid & gunk out before you install it!

Pix here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91183

That looks good. Did you just cut the lower line (return line)? What year explorer? Thanks

dan4g63 said:
That looks good. Did you just cut the lower line (return line)? What year explorer? Thanks

Yep. It's really an easy mod.

I'm not sure what year, just kinda poke around till you find one that looks in good shape.

I just installed one of a minivan this weekend, it was one of the easier mods I have done. I was going to put it after the rad. but cut the wrong line so I just bypassed the rad all together, but I live in FL so I dont have to worry very much about it getting to cold.

Andrew

bought a cooler yesterday, It's the stacked style. I mounted it today, but I don't know how much I trust the mounting hardware. It's just 4 plastic "studs" that slide through the condenser and radiator and I just put a clip on the other side to hold it in place. I'm guessing the plastic won't melt but Just a little worried. When I mounted it I faced it in the wrong direction so the fittings are on the drivers side. Should have it hooked up in an hour or so.

I tired to identify the return line by putting it in drive and letting it run for 10 seconds and both lines were too hot to hold onto so I couldn't tell which one was warmer. I think it's the bottom one, am I right ? When I do figure it out, do I just cut the metal part of the line and clamp the hose to it and vise versa for the outlet of the cooler?

Ok, I found that the return line is the line that feeds to the back of the transmission. Also, how will the air that is in the cooler now be removed from the system ?

I just got a B&M racing SuperCooler with the Trans Temp Gauge and a Thermostatic Control Valve last week. Looking to install before I head to Trees Ranch this weekend. Never done this Mod before, but it should be easy.

- Scott

Back